Best 2D fighters to buy?

I've been looking up 2D fighters (I don't already own) occasionally to see if I should get any. But it's extremely overwhelming due the the immense explosion of non-sucky 2D fighters in the mid to late 90's.

So I was wondering if anyone had some good choices for the few you should definitely own.

All systems considered.

My biggest problem is just the lengthy series and cross-breeding. For instance, there's street fighter II, II turbo, II champ, III, alpha, alpha 2, alpha 3,etc. Then KOF 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, kyo, r-1, 99, r-2, dream match 99, 2000, evolution, 2001, 2002, etc. Darkstalkers 1, 2, and 3. And then all the mix-ups - marvel vs. capcom, marvel vs snk, capcom vs snk, capcom vs snk2, snk vs mario, etc.

I can't possibly have to own all of the games in a series? Isn't 2 just 1 plus extra, and 3 just 2 plus extra, so getting the last the in series should be sufficient? Or do they often degrade in gameplay? And with all the cross-breeding, aren't all the games starting to play the same? Or are there any games that have a unique identity?

In the early 90's it was a bit easier. Most 2D fighters were either really good, or they sucked. It was easier to pick them out. Especially when it was the standard to only have 4 special moves per characters, or a single punch and kick button.

Here's a couple of my prime choices:

Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Darkside (Sega CD)

Weapon Lord (Genesis/SNES)

(ok, so I've really only played through the oldgen ones the most)

Also, I enjoy these games for their unique value, despite that hardcore gamers may find their flaws:

Primal Rage (32X)

Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle (SNES)

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (3DO)

I have several newgen ones, but haven't played through them enough to recommend them yet. However, I was quite impressed with my initial playthrough of this game. Especially, the music was awesome:

Dark Legend (Saturn)

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is a game that I've gotten into recently (considering how long it's been around). I've managed to find plenty of challengers at most of the arcades I've been to. Alot of people say it's broken with human Smoke tipping the balance, but it's a pretty exciting challenge to beat people with a weaker Mileena.

Also, the game has breathed new life after being released on the Xbox Live Arcade. There are now plenty of fresh players.

Edit:

Oh yeah, as far as 2d gameplay goes, you can't much more fun from a game than Super Smash Bros.

Can't go wrong with Samurai Shodown.

The problem with fighters, as they get older, is that the company 'adds' stuff to make it more appealing, so sometimes the next iteration isn't nearly as good as the previous one. For instance, out of the five Samurai Shodowns (I-V), I prefer II...

The SF series is prone to that too. And it really depends on the platform as well. Super Street Fighter II for the PC isn't very good, even though the game itself is decent. (Incidently, SSFII:Matching Service for the Dreamcast is considered to be the most perfect arcade port of SSFII).

The other problem with 2D fighters is that it's a matter of preference. Nadius likes Mortal Kombat; I can't stand it. I love MvC2, but SFIII I'm not crazy for (but I do like SFA3).

Is there anything more esoteric than 2D Fighters?

Back