Best Saturn Emulator?

Which Saturn emulator do you guys think is the best? I'm currently using SSF, and its fine, save for a few audio glitches. Which one is the most stable? The fastest? Which one is the easiest to use? Thanks for your opinions.

best is SSF

most stable is prolly SSF too

fastest is SaturnTV, then girigiri-gav and satourne

easiest to use - that would be relative, for me all of them are easy to use.

bit OT but what kind of rig would you reckon optimal to run these emulators?

my P4-2.4 just doesn't cut it then it's loaded with stuff missus hardly uses but insists on... :(

Originally posted by Piratero@Wed, 2006-02-01 @ 02:38 PM

You forgot Yabause. :flamethrower:

[post=144003]Quoted post[/post]​

It's neither the best, fastest or easiest to use.

It's open source though.

dj: the dualcore athlon64 X2 runs ssf at fullspeed regardless of games, my athlon64 3200+ runs simpler games at fullspeed with minor framedropping (Puyo puyo sun, saturn bomberman, the BIOS, etc) but really chokes on more demanding games like Cotton or VF2.

dunno about the rest, they should be around the same speed or faster though.

Yabause is in fact one of the best. What other Sega Saturn emulator can emulate King of Fighthers '95? Oh, it isn't too difficult to click on a few buttons.

Originally posted by Piratero@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 10:58 AM

Yabause is in fact one of the best. What other Sega Saturn emulator can emulate King of Fighthers '95? Oh, it isn't too difficult to click on a few buttons.

[post=144057]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh?! since when ROM Cart of KoF 95 was dump'd? O_O

KoF 95 uses the data off its proprietary ROM cart last time I checked...

Maybe you were referring to KoF 96 and onward?

Originally posted by Piratero@Thu, 2006-02-02 @ 06:58 PM

[post=144057]Quoted post[/post]​

clicking a few buttons is not hard but using the default key config is.

Originally posted by dj898@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 03:31 AM

Huh?! since when ROM Cart of KoF 95 was dump'd? O_O

KoF 95 uses the data off its proprietary ROM cart last time I checked...

Maybe you were referring to KoF 96 and onward?

[post=144059]Quoted post[/post]​

The ROM cart was dumped ;)

And I confirm that Yabause speed is great, I was pretty impressed with its improvements lately :)

And there's no point into discussing with Borisz, as he is a SSF fanatic ... no matter how good others emulators are they will always be no good compared to it ...

You should open your mind up a bit, it wouldn't hurt :rolleyes:

Originally posted by G. Borisz@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 12:41 AM

dj: the dualcore athlon64 X2 runs ssf at fullspeed regardless of games, my athlon64 3200+ runs simpler games at fullspeed with minor framedropping (Puyo puyo sun, saturn bomberman, the BIOS, etc) but really chokes on more demanding games like Cotton or VF2.

dunno about the rest, they should be around the same speed or faster though.

[post=144038]Quoted post[/post]​

Should I get Athlon for my next rig?

hmm.... O_O

Originally posted by Runik@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 03:04 AM

The ROM cart was dumped ;)

And I confirm that Yabause speed is great, I was pretty impressed with its improvements lately :)

And there's no point into discussing with Borisz, as he is a SSF fanatic ... no matter how good others emulators are they will always be no good compared to it ...

You should open your mind up a bit, it wouldn't hurt  :rolleyes:

[post=144077]Quoted post[/post]​

I have my mind opened but still no other saturn emulators run as glitch free as SSF did nearly 4 years ago (even if it was slow) or even girigiri did 3 years ago (even if girigiri is a huge fiasco).

Perhaps it is you guys who would need to look on it from a non-developer point of view and realize that this is not that exciting for everyone as it is for you?

dj: you might want to wait till the new amd socket comes out if you do. but aside from that amds are the best cpus currently available.

That's sure that if you take a game with severe glitches in Yabause that's easy to say that the emulator is no good ... why don't you take a picture from a fully working one for a change ?

And I'm sure that not all games are running on SSF ...

And for the record, SSF still needs SSE2 to work, so a lot of people (including myself) can't use it. Yabause works on any computer, and on a bunch more of OS. But that's nothing new ...

Indeed. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in all honesty I think people should just try out all the emulators currently being worked on(Satourne, Saturnin, SSF, Yabause) and just make up their own mind. Let's not bring GiriGiri into this, I mean it's not even legal to distribute it, let alone any of its mutated children.

As far as Yabause is concerned, I agree it may not be at the same level at SSF is, yet. But certainly it fills the holes that SSF still hasn't plugged(such as ROM cart emulation, portable code, runs on systems other than high-end Athlons and Pentium 4's)

Cyber Warrior X

Well, please excuse me for not taking any pictures, but none of the games I tried were running fully. (speaking of which, is there any particular place to report compatibility for Yabause?)

Originally posted by G. Borisz+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G. Borisz)</div><div class='quotemain'>is there any particular place to report compatibility for Yabause[/b]

There isn't a public-editable compatibility database as such, but you can file bugs in Yabause's SourceForge tracker.

<!--QuoteBegin-Piratero

I guess you can join the IRC channel (#yabause) and report any problems there.[/quote]

This isn't a bad idea either. Guillaume is usually pretty available there and that way he can ask questions that might be able to narrow things down. It's on Freenode (auto-rotation via irc.freenode.net).

Back