Bizarre brushes with fame

So any strange brushes with fame to speak of? Ever meet a famous game designer or a movie star or anything like that?

I had one...

The other day I bought a brand new copy of Popful Mail on eBay from Victor Ireland, the executive producer of the game translation and publishing company Working Designs. (That's sort of like saying you bought a copy of The Shining from Stephen King because he was cleaning out the attic one day and decided to get rid of some old copies of his published work. :ph34r: :smokin: )

I saw the game on eBay. When I asked the seller about the item (where he got it, etc.) Mr. Ireland replied that he had a case of them he found in his garage, and that he usually had a number of copies of the titles he had worked on. He said that he was doing some spring cleaning and clearing out. (To all you Lunar fans out there, imagine how strange it would be to one day get an e-mail from "vicireland@workingdesigns.com")

Well, that settled, I bought the game. It wasn't a super cheap deal, but it was brand new, never opened. It's in the nicest shape I've ever received a game from a purchase on eBay.

I also asked him if he would sign the cover, and he was nice enough to actually do it. I scanned it in so I could show you guys. (I blocked out his address and my address for privacy's sake.) ;)

The box it came in: Scan 1

The signed instructions manual: Scan 2

Who knows maybe it'll be worth something someday. :)

I almost picked up a dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 2 game & poster signed by Yuji Naka off ebay but the novelty of it pushed the price a tad to high, especially since I owned all the stuff in the auction. Still would've been nice to get though...

Originally posted by CommanderBubba@Mar 28, 2004 @ 01:03 AM

(I blocked out his address and my address for privacy's sake.) ;)

Wow, if you're going to block out anything from your address I would suggest blocking out that disgraceful city :lol:

Edmonton >>> Calgary :p

---Ammut

I shook hands with Michael W. Smith, and have a photo of him, my wife and me.

.... Doesn't count, does it? :rolleyes: Prolly not much of a gamer, that man. :blush:

Hmm, I was accosted by Tim DeLaughter of Tripping Daisy/Polyphonic Spree fame.

I was chatting it up with the coat check guy well before the Polyphonic Spree show started, and apparently Tim was leaning over the counter listening to me rave about them, then he turned around got an inch from my face, smiled and laughed like a madman, then ran away like a cartoon character.

hmm... Family friends with M. Night Shyamalan (of Sixth Sense fame).

Met Kobe Bryant... while he was in high school (same league). Guess that's not as special as it used to be. And he wasn't famous then. His ego was still fairly large, though.

Jim Vance (Washington DC newscaster) sat next to myself and my fiancee while we were at dinner (great man, he is).

Walked by Kim Cattrall in NYC (she was on a cellphone, couldn't say hi). It was on 5th Avenue.

And finally... my fiancee rolled a suitcase over Wolf Blitzer's foot (of CNN fame). Accident, of course. :)

Edit: Forgot my favorite one! Met the Philadelphia Eagles (football) team. They were coming out from dinner at the LU dining hall. I was a senior/undergrad at the time. No autographs, but some high-fives for wearing an Eagles hat. :lol:

My wife road a roller coaster with Weird Al.

She said he really was weird. :)

I got within about a couple of feet of Cal Ripken Jr. while he was signing autographs.

Too many people around to get one for myself

I met the Iowa State wrestling team when I was... nine or ten. I was leaving Village Inn, and they had just been seated. It kicked ass. :D :smokin:

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Mar 30, 2004 @ 08:56 AM

hmm... Family friends with M. Night Shyamalan (of Sixth Sense fame).

Met Kobe Bryant... while he was in high school (same league). Guess that's not as special as it used to be. And he wasn't famous then. His ego was still fairly large, though.

Jim Vance (Washington DC newscaster) sat next to myself and my fiancee while we were at dinner (great man, he is).

Walked by Kim Cattrall in NYC (she was on a cellphone, couldn't say hi). It was on 5th Avenue.

And finally... my fiancee rolled a suitcase over Wolf Blitzer's foot (of CNN fame). Accident, of course. :)

Edit: Forgot my favorite one! Met the Philadelphia Eagles (football) team. They were coming out from dinner at the LU dining hall. I was a senior/undergrad at the time. No autographs, but some high-fives for wearing an Eagles hat. :lol:

did u go to kobe's highschool? my cousin did

I have meet and talked with many pro athletes (Michael Jordan, Todd Stussi, Kirby Puckett, and many more) I worked for Sunglass Hut in the MAll of America. Anytime teams would come to Minneapolis, you would usually see them at the mall. And many would stop in to buy shades.

My closest brush is that Susan Anton is my second cousin. Met her a couple of times at family reunions. Yes she is about 6' tall. I also grew up with Linda Carter's (WonderWoman) cousins and know her mother. Yes, her cousins are just as hot as she is/was.

umm not that i was really enthused or anything but i delivered 7 cadillacs. all same model only all different colors... to Master P. no autograph or anything, not a fan.

oh incase your wondering i use to drive tractor trailor for and with my father and his company. PETERBUILTS ROCK

tell ya what wanna see something funny that my brother did to our truck... i scribbled the company name out though for privacy.

truck.JPG

Originally posted by Ammut@Mar 29, 2004 @ 02:43 AM

Wow, if you're going to block out anything from your address I would suggest blocking out that disgraceful city :lol:

Edmonton >>> Calgary :p

---Ammut

Okay oiler-boy, we'll see. :hehehe: Calgary vs. Edmonton, Round Two. (At least that's what we're hopin' for. :bandit )

And, back to the subject of the thread, I've sat and watched hockey games with injured professional hockey players before. (Nobody of great importance though.)

And I've met a few local politicians, again, nobody super-important.

I am already a celebrity in the UK.

The local news referred to me as an "amazing chap" a couple of years ago and the papers recently said "He's the man" in a headline about me. :thumbs-up:

I met a few celebs at the San Diego Comic-Con. I met Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, Ron Perlman (Hellboy), Rumiko Takahashi (The Line was LONG), Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer) I SAW Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, Quentin Tarantino and the cast of Kill Bill and Eliza Dushku, but I wasn't able to meet them.

Back