Black vs. Red

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Black box vs. Red box - which is superior?

• Black is back, baby!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red - blood is thicker than water!

• Are you kidding? Non-standard boxes rule!

• Total voters

it290

What's your preferred era of Genesis titles? The earlier black box/white grid look, or the red box with the new logo? It's a close call, but I'd have to say that if I could only play games with one type of box or the other, I'd have to go with the classic black box games.

Kuta

Staff member
I live in Australia so we only had two types. The black ones and the blue spine ones. I prefer the blue spines.

Cloud121

Website
www.geocities.com
Well, when you factor in the 32X was around during the "Red Era", I gotta lean a bit towards that one. :p

I'd say they're even, but the "Red Era" was definitely when the MegaDrive hardware was really pushed to its limit.

vbt

Staff member
I prefer Black boxes, also you forgot the era of blue boxes in Europe.

dibz

Boss
Staff member
I live in the USA as well, and have a few games with red boxes and a few with black. I'm not sure which I like better.

ExCyber

Staff member
Red. I can see the draw of the black-box era for some hardcore Sega fans since that's when they did most of their arcade ports (including some excellent ports of Capcom arcade games), but the red-box era has:

Gunstar Heroes

Dynamite Headdy

Castlevania Bloodlines

Contra: Hard Corps

Phantasy Star IV

Landstalker

Shadowrun

Beyond Oasis

... and probably some others I've forgotten

dibz

Boss
Staff member
ExCyber has a pretty good point. Honestly I think the red-boxes did look a little better when comparing some.