Black & White

Shitface

Established Member
Black & White

Hey, I have had Black & White for a while now. I was kinda dissapointed when it wasn't released on console. But the game is freakin fun IMO. I have trained my creature to poop on houses, and kill for fun!! hurray!

Anywho, anyone know if the sequal will be released on any consoles?

Black & White

Haven't played it, but has been dubbed "non-turn based RPG', and am guessing it hasn't got a battle screen of some sort?

Black & White

My computer sucked too much at the time of the release of this game so I never got around to playing it, though I was eyeing the DC version :damn:

If I saw it in a bargain bin I'd pick it up... but hasn't B&W 2 been announced already? I could be totally wrong, but I thought I read a quick article on that awhile back. And my new computer would be able to run anything that comes out in the next few months (yes months... I hate how pcs get outdated...) so I'd start with a fresh experience.

---Ammut

Black & White

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jan 9, 2004 @ 06:30 AM

Haven't played it, but has been dubbed "non-turn based RPG', and am guessing it hasn't got a battle screen of some sort?

I wouldnt class it as a RPG at all, in fact its nothing like an RPG.

Black and White is a God game like Populous.

Black & White

My mistake. Must be thinking of a different game :ph34r: Anyway, here is a preview of Black & White II from GameSpot.

Black & White

I am soooo looking foward to number 2. 1 was missing a very key element when building the village. And now that you can make armies in 2, the strategy aspect of the game will increase greatly. I hope it goes to console though cause i doubt my pc would be able to run it.

Black & White

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:54 AM

My mistake. Must be thinking of a different game :ph34r: Anyway, here is a preview of Black & White II from GameSpot.

Were you thinking of Fable formally known as Project Ego. It has the same designer as Black & White, Peter Molyneux.

Black & White

Fable looks good, but I can't get myself to get excited about B&W 2, although it does look like it will be more fun to play than the first. Don't get me wrong, Molyneux is an excellent designer- some of his games rank amongst my all-time favorites (particularly Syndicate and Syndicate Wars), but B&W was just such a huge disappointment. It's as if he forgot that players need to be rewarded while playing the game.

Black & White

Woo! Go Syndicate!! Yep, that's a classic. :)

No, wasn't Fable.. just did a search for it - The game was Neverwinter Nights.

Black & White

Syndicate rocks. I first played that on my Mac. :D

I've never tried Syndicate Wars - is it any good?

Black & White

Hell yeah Syndicate Wars is good. It's basically more of the same only with better graphics, much more weaponry, and 2 factions to choose from (Syndicate or Zealots). It also has a multiplayer option (over IPX only, unfortunately). The only problem is that it's one of those games that you need a decent DOS machine to run-- it was also ported to the playstation, but it's just not worth playing in low res and without a mouse (especially since playing the game in high resolution gives you a much bigger viewing area). Not to breach 'da rulez' too much, but I have the CD and could probably help you out if you're interested.

Black & White

Just a follow on from it290 post - I too am a die hard Syndicate fan :) Own Syndicate Wars for both PC and PSX, and I too could supply a rip of the PC copy, of course, but I think there is a rip at theunderdogs.org. I played the PSX version first, despite reading up tons and tons of reviews and fansites for the PC version, and was very shocked that the PSX version was a bit different than the PC version. But nevertheless, I played and enjoyed the PSX version a lot. Then when I got a copy of the PC version, ironically, I was much more dissapointed with it, after playing so much of the PSX version. The PC version will run way too fast on today's processors anyway. The game has been argued as less strategic compared to the first, but if you have played both, you will realise that you still have to use the same sort of strategies/ techniques to be able to pass the levels (ie, running into a whole pack of enemy agents rambo-style isn't going to work, so, like the first, you have to hide behind buildings and lure them one by one, or ambush them at chokepoints to be successful.)

/offtopic]

Black & White

I think the game will run fine on modern processors without any moslo type programs. It ran fine on my old K6-2 machine anyway, even though the game was built for P1's and the like IIRC. Magic Carpet does require slowdown however.

As for it being less strategic, I could see where that criticism might come from, as it usually pays off to keep your agents together, unlike the first game, where it was often necessary to split up. However, it does encourage a wider variety of weapons being used, not to mention the diffculty level was a lot higher due to the presence of more enemy agents/zealots and also the spiders.

Black & White

Mmm, spiders :) Yes, good memories of Syndicate. I'm actually surprised that this game has a bit of a reputation over here at sx :blush:

Black & White

It's one of my all time favourites. :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by it290@Jan 10, 2004 @ 05:13 PM

I think the game will run fine on modern processors without any moslo type programs. It ran fine on my old K6-2 machine anyway, even though the game was built for P1's and the like IIRC. Magic Carpet does require slowdown however.

Slow down program?

Can anyone elaborate?

Black & White

Slow down program?

Can anyone elaborate?

Well, a lot of older PC games don't have any kind of built in timing -- they simply run as fast as the processor lets them, since they were designed for a certain type of system. This is especially true of really old games, but applies to some more modern titles such as Magic Carpet as well. The solution is to run a piece of software like MoSlo, which wastes a certain percentage of your processor cycles, thus slowing your PC down to the level required for the game to play properly.

Back