Blackviper.com

Gallstaff

Established Member
I just installed xp pro (loving it so far) and my friends all said the same thing: do the super tweaks at blackviper.com. I did em all and it seems to have given me a bit of a boost in performance. However, some things like the automatic updates and system restore services seem like they were kinda useful. From that site, is there anything you guys think i should not have done that he reccomends on the windows xp pro super tweaks section?

Automatic updates are nice. I keep mine on download and prompt. That way I can decide when to install the stuff once it has downloaded it. I would never turn of System Restore. I can't even remember the number of times it saved my bacon after a bad driver install. Perhaps lowering how much space it uses but I'd never turn it off completely.

Yeah i lowered it to half of whatever the max was, like six percent i think. I also kinda just ignored auto updates but once a day i go to MS.com and see wha ti want and dont want. Not tha tmuch of a hassle but the good thing is i know when it downloads and stuff.

Oh also, since i turned off all the eye candy, that doesnt mean i cant skin it up with style xp right?

well, when u skin it it'll prob. take more resources than the regualr eyecandy would. I turn off auto-updates as well. I like to know what I am downloading, when I am downloading, why I need to download it, what it fixes, blah blah blah before I actually get it. I have had 56k my whole damn life up to a few months ago so I am used to it. If any virus or big security thing comes out, then I just load it up. If not then I just do it aout 1x a week.

Speaking of eye candy, you guys know that little minimize/maximize animation that is performed within Windows? There's a feature in the Nvidia drivers to turn it off, but I run an ATI card on my Windows machine.. does anyone know of another program or a registry setting to get rid of that?

You dont need to get that detailed. It's a simple setting in performance options somewhere in windows. Haha blackviper.com, man. They'll tell you how to do it and have detailed pictures on it.

Y'know, last time I checked I thought it was in the 'performance and effects' area, but it wasn't. I'll have to double check again, but I'm not sure that's in the UI anywhere (otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have to add a switch for it).

it's a nvidia-only thing from what I know. What it does Gallstaff is makes it so u dont see the window minimise down at all, it's just poof! gone. It's called quick close or sumthing. It is a cool little feature I used to have on my PC (had a 8meg Vanta LT).

Whenever you minimize/restore/maximize a window, watch it travel. He wants to get rid of that. Try this:

"To completly remove the native window animation, modify or create the string value "MinAnimate" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Control Panel\Desktop, with a value of "0" (disabled) or "1" (enabled)."

Back