Commlink / EMS AR 4+1 problem

I've got some problems with getting the communication from the Commlink to the EMS AR 4+1 cartridge.

I'm using the satlink tool (from http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/saturn.php), but it doesn't work properly. I compiled satlink to an Win32 executable with VS 2003, but when I try to upload or download it stops after a few bytes. I've added some debug output to see what's going on.

When I try to dump the BIOS it stops after 100-200 bytes, and the AR interface hangs (I have to reset the saturn). Have anyone else experienced this?

This is the hardware I'm using:

Jap Saturn (HST-3220)

EMS Action Replay 4+1 (bought from Lik-Sang a few weeks ago)

Commlink Card 6.0 (from http://www.consolesandgadgets.com)

Pentium 150 running Windows 98

In addition I'll just say that I'm surprised to see an active Sega Saturn development forum in 2005. :)

Hmm, I haven't used this setup in years. BUT when I did, it used to be that the AR+ was completely incompatible with all things windows. You had to use pure dos, period, for it to work. When I did, it worked beautifully, but trying in any vers of windows was a no-no. Of course this was a long time ago, but I don't imagine software to link with the saturn has been updated much. I still have ar communication software around if you need it.

Originally posted by Reinhart@Sun, 2005-05-08 @ 03:20 PM

I manage to use the commlink with windows95 by using a tool called ssfexe.exe (take a look here: http://saturndev.emuvibes.com/faq.html )

I also got a commlink card from liksang and had to shorten the cable (maybe you should try another cable too ?)

[post=133776]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the link, I'll try that out.

Shortening the cable seems like a good idea, I'll try that when I get time.

As for using MS-DOS instead of Windows, I'd rather stick with windows. I use my Mac for coding, and I really don't want to try to set up networking in MS-DOS. :)

hello,

VS 2003 works still under w98 ?

charles mcdonalds sat-util works great for me and w98 and pccomms + AR (both from datel) or a EMS 4in1 , with w2k or xp u need some port-access-driver/code.

regards,

seal1

Originally posted by seal1@Tue, 2005-05-17 @ 05:52 PM

harles mcdonalds sat-util works great for me and w98 and pccomms + AR (both from datel) or a EMS 4in1 , with w2k or xp u need some port-access-driver/code.

regards,

seal1

[post=134189]Quoted post[/post]​

Ahm, I've just been trying to setup my commslink cart connection again and I use WinXP and again it won't work. Is there a chance to get it running under WinXP?

BTW: I tried to contact this freewing guy to buy his PCB he was selling, but couldn't reach him. Now you tried a lot of pc link carts, what's the best of them(speed, reliability, easy to build)?

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Wed, 2005-05-18 @ 03:43 AM

For Windows NT/2000/XP:

download directio.zip and loaddrv.zip from the site below:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/FreeProj...hipPgmr-P3.html

Follow the instructions on the same page: Installing "totalio.sys"

[post=134226]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks a lot for that hint. I've installed it(and included it in SaturnOrbit).

Unfortunately my CommsLink still doesn't work.

Maybe it is broken.

Only ACTION.EXE(official commslink software) behaves different when totalio is running: menu cursor change not possible at point 2.

Is there a tool to determine if the commslink board itself is broken?

Originally posted by CyberWarriorX@Wed, 2005-05-18 @ 03:43 AM

For Windows NT/2000/XP:

download directio.zip and loaddrv.zip from the site below:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/FreeProj...hipPgmr-P3.html

Follow the instructions on the same page: Installing "totalio.sys"

[post=134226]Quoted post[/post]​

it is very unsecure to load directIO just enable it for all programms !!!

its better to add 2-3 lines code to your link/transfersoftware, so directIO can be disabled for whole system and only linksoft will communicate with directIO for access to ports/kernelparts.

I did this some years ago with charles mcdonalds sat.exe for w2k but should work with xp too.

I used a other directIO from K-Communications a "high rank psx guru".

Attachments

• sat_w2k_binary.rar
    20.2 KB · Views: 120
  • sat_w2k_directio.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 114
  • sat_w2k_directio.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 113
  • sat_w2k_binary.rar
    20.2 KB · Views: 111
  • sat_w2k_binary.rar
    20.2 KB · Views: 123
  • sat_w2k_directio.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 120
  • sat_w2k_directio.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 122
  • sat_w2k_binary.rar
    20.2 KB · Views: 120
Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Tue, 2005-05-17 @ 08:17 PM

Now you tried a lot of pc link carts, what's the best of them(speed, reliability, easy to build)?

[post=134192]Quoted post[/post]​

pccomm´s still fastest one.

yano´s easy to build around 14€ with parts from wellknown "conrad" otherwhere maybe cheaper. most expensive was the testlayer with correct placements for sub-d-25-ports.

freewing complexer than yano´s and should be slowest one.

my yano-interface is with original AR unreliable (coz of my selected HCT chips, should HC) but with EMS 4in1 no problems.

I´m unhappy with speed over LPT with my yano/extands, even I programm maybe this weekend native extand-mode for sat.exe, because my benchmarks on psx show even K-comms caetla´s psexe.exe didn´t reach the speed of a pccomms only half of atleast what I got between PC-AMIGA. maybe it´s the "send and read it back behavior" of transfer to the saturn/psx which consumes 50% of the speed vs. pccomms. must have a look at the sources this weekend.

had 3 pccomms, now 2 left, all worked, no one was dead on arrivial. maybe ressource conflict ?

Attachments

• yano.jpg
    yano.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 113
  • yano.jpg
    yano.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 131
  • yano.jpg
    yano.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 126
  • yano.jpg
    yano.jpg