Component Video Cables

Does anyone know if there is a component video cable for the Saturn? I know there's an S-Video cable since I have that but what about component cables?

to my knowledge the highest video output you can attain via the defualt setup on the Saturn is S-video.

I believe you can do a mod on the video chip to get it to output component video. I dont have a link on hand but perhaps someone else will.

Saturn's best output format is RGB. It doesn't support YCbCr (technically both of these formats are "component video", but people usually just call the former "RGB"). I'm not aware of any mod that will make Saturn output YCbCr short of stuffing a transcoder inside of it, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing such a thing if someone can dig up the link.

and it degrades quality as it requires doublers... another possibility is to bypass the analogue encoder chip in the saturn and replace it with a more up to date one with more options built in. You can get those for a lot cheaper then a converter... but I've never actually tested it.

Something like the Motorola MC1378 or similar.

They are hard to actually purchase... usually only available in large quantity... but then you can pull chips like this or similar to this out of broken systems. You just have to make sure that the clock speed and all that good stuff matches up (that is why I say the MC1378)

true... but what if I wanted to play it on my 60" HDTV?

A 60" RGB monitor would cost a lot of money.

RGB is nice... but finding a decent sized RGB monitor for a decent price is hard.

true

but for me doing all the mods you've mentioned - assuming that I have the ability to do so - would take a lot of time and for me time is money. If things going to take a lot of time I will judge and decide what is better option - getting big RGB monitor or transcoder or doing the mod... :D

No point in scan doubling if you're just converting RGB to ypbpr. If you pull the signals before they hit the saturn's encoder chip then I would think the only limit on quality would be that of the encoder you're using. This is basically the way that the jrok, neobitz etc. are meant to be used with consoles.

Thanks for the replies. But that seems to costly. I think I'll stick with the S-Video cable. Or would it really make a big difference on the Saturn?

Originally posted by lordofduct@Tue, 2006-01-31 @ 03:20 PM

I just use S-Video personally... and it looks gorgeous.

[post=143972]Quoted post[/post]​

I think on the same way, Saturn don´t need a high resolution, on S-video clabe image is great.

Pek.

I was thinking, would it be possible to connect my Saturn using the Saturn RGB cable through some type of adapter to plug into the component inputs on my HDTV? I live in the USA by the way, not Europe.

There isn't any passive adapter that will work (the signal formats are just too different) but you can do it with an RGB->YPrPb transcoder. They're usually not cheap, though.

Nope, Y/C or RGB is not best...

Composite is the best, because you get real transpareny only per composite (only for V-Saturn/Hi-Saturn! Not working with Sega Saturn)

Don't tell me that you guys didn't knew that...

Some one told me that is has to do with pixel shifting (like some older sega consoles).

Probably some knows more?

I have an RGB to Component converter, cost me about $80AUD. very good when using it on a good TV. My Panasonic 68cm had the same quality as an arcade monitor when using the converter box (I tried to find faults but just cauldn't).

I now have a 42" plasma but it cannot display Interlaced signals through component below 600x400. My only option now is an upscaler box.

Atm though s-video is ok.

Anyway, if you have a good CRT TV with component, that is dedicated for consoles (ie, old consoles, not the HDTV requiring ones of today) I highly recommend getting the converter box.

Originally posted by myersxxx@Sun, 2006-07-23 @ 01:31 AM

Nope, Y/C or RGB is not best...

Composite is the best, because you get real transpareny only per composite (only for V-Saturn/Hi-Saturn! Not working with Sega Saturn)

Don't tell me that you guys didn't knew that...

Some one told me that is has to do with pixel shifting (like some older sega consoles).

Probably some knows more?

[post=147172]Quoted post[/post]​

AFAIK, transparency on saturn was done by displaying only every other pixel. When using a composite connection, the picture is blurred somewhat, causing a fake transparency effect. I don't see why it should make a difference which saturn model you use though... Maybe those models pre-filter the composite signal

There's a lot of different tricks they use to pull of transparency across every console. Some use the handicaps of the video signal to pull it off (using interlacing and burriness to their advantage) and yes you'd lose some of the niceness of the transparency by upgrading to the best video signal and good television.

At the same time though you gain crisper images and colour.

Back