Composite Setup question

Jaded God

Established Member
Okay so say you use a AV switch box for all your systems and all the av cables are the original, not s-videos or anything just composite cables that came with the systems, yellow-red-white... Now say that you use Monster Cables Gold plated 50 dollar cables for the output of the switchbox to the TV. will it improve video quality of the systems or naw? Or do you need to have all the systems with enhanced cables?

You might see a slight quality increase, but in general expensive cables are fairly far down on the list of what you can do to improve signal quality, and the difference is usually only noticeable on large screens. IMHO proper TV setup, using cables of an appropriate length, and having everything grounded properly are more worthwhile pursuits.

I am just saying would the monster cables that run from the switchbox to the tv make the consoles look better than just having standard AV cables from the switchbox to TV.

Probably a teeny bit. Whether or not it would be enough to notice depends on how bad the current cable is and how big your TV is.

The tv it will be running on is probably around 20" and the cable?? You mean the original AV cable I have hooking the box to the tv? Nothing wrong with that cable.

So I am thinking I will just use the monster cables on my dvd player to the tv.

use em' on the dvd dude, the effect is so minimal on the switch box... id go and get all s-video for those if i wanted better pic... oh yeah i did. ALOT BETTER. i couldnt believe it. (well actually i didnt notice it till i returned back to regular RWY composite.)

Originally posted by Jaded God@Jul 15, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

The tv it will be running on is probably around 20" and the cable?? You mean the original AV cable I have hooking the box to the tv? Nothing wrong with that cable.

So I am thinking I will just use the monster cables on my dvd player to the tv.

I wouldn't spend the money. You'd get better quality using average quality S-video or especially component cables, with the DVD player. If you don't have any s-video or component hookups, save the $50 towards a new TV, perhaps? I got my 24" Apex with component, 2 s-video and 3 RCA for $200 new, about a year ago.

Back