Connection dips

Gallstaff

Established Member
I keep getting random disconnects from time to time. It's weird cause i'm on cable and i'm not going through a router, i'm hard wired right into the modem.

What could be causing this?

what u connected through? network cable would be my guess.....If you are then maybe your wire is kinda messed? might wanna get another. Also, your modem could be a piece.....my guess it's 1 of the 2.

couldn't hurt to call up your cable company, and request a new modem that will actually stay on 24/7 without a problem, thus giving you what the Cable internet service is - Always on.

though, I use an old Cable modem, as the newer ones did overheat, and shut off. after a few service calls, including one in which the newly brought modem shut off as he was preparing to leave ("you're not leaving yet"), we got an old style modem, which has worked flawlessly. heck, I've had to reset my router more often.

Road Runner, and use an old Toshiba 1100U cable modem

I was having a really weird connection problem last night. No info would flow in through the nic at all, no web pages would load, no im, nothing. Just as a fluke I clicked the bookmark for my isp's web page and it loaded up fine. Nothing worked at all except for their home page.

I was absurdly pissed b/c it had to be them messing w/ their routers or something and it wasn't during the maintence time.

Maybe that's your problem to?

Some cable companies make you pay for the damn thing. Are you using Cat 5 or USB? What brand of modem? Was it provided for you, or did you buy it? I had similar problems when I was connecting through USB.

I'm using cat 5. You can use USB? The modem is a Toshiba (do they even MAKE modems?) and they gave it to us for free the first time but i didnt know if they would expect us to pay for it the second time.

Most cable companies will "rent" the modem to you for free. The theory was that once a standard was established you could buy the modem they provided you or get one from the store. But since none are in stores they still go by the free rental idea. (At least my provider does.) Give them a call and see if you can exchange it for a new modem.

Who is your provider? If it's Time Warner, you can exchange it with them because you rent it. My enet port went dead on mine and I picked up a new one.

Back