Converting to NTFS

I got my computer just as XP came out. For some reason, my HD is FAT32. I want to convert it to NTFS.

The problem is that much of my programs came on the HD with out the original disks. SO rather than having an XP disk, I have a "recovery CD" and like wise for other programs. The only option for backing up is a partition system and system restore.

I am assuming the conversion will affect both partitions. Is there any was to backup XP to CDRs? I know it sounds silly but this is a big risk for me. I don't want to screw up the convert and be stuck with nothing.

depending on which company you bought your pc from, one of the recovery cd's may have xp's installer on it. You should browse around and take a look. If so, then just install off that without using the system recovery stuff.

You select which partition you want to convert. And there should be no data loss. The only drawbacks of NTFS is that you can't go back to Fat32 without formatting, and you can't dual boot.

And you can't fix a borked registry by mounting the drive in Linux and restoring the backup. Not that I've ever run into a situation where this might be necessary because, say, one of the security patches rendered the Recovery Console useless on my machine... <_<

I know have a NTFS drive. It was a fast conversion too!

But I still have problems. Pinnacle Studio 9 still crashes my system everytime during installation. It reaches a certain point where it is altering the registry and... BANG. The system restarts!

Windows movie maker doesn't recognize the pinnacle capture card. My only luck has been in installing the MGI program that came with dazzle.

I thought this would fix the problem.

You select which partition you want to convert. And there should be no data loss. The only drawbacks of NTFS is that you can't go back to Fat32 without formatting, and you can't dual boot.

You mean dual boot from the same partition, right? Because you can definitely dual boot with multiple partitions; all of my windows partitions are NTFS with the exception of one 5g FAT32 partition that I use for transferring files between windows & linux on my tri-boot machine.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 23, 2004 @ 08:11 PM

You mean dual boot from the same partition, right? Because you can definitely dual boot with multiple partitions; all of my windows partitions are NTFS with the exception of one 5g FAT32 partition that I use for transferring files between windows & linux on my tri-boot machine.

You can still dual boot with no issues at all.

The only catch is, only Windows NT OSes can work with NTFS.

IIRC one single Linux kernel can *read* NTFS, but none can write it yet.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Feb 24, 2004 @ 06:16 AM

IIRC one single Linux kernel can *read* NTFS, but none can write it yet.

The Linux NTFS Project driver can read NTFS drives perfectly, and you can overwrite files as long as the file sizes are the same. Using that driver and one of the many ext2 drivers for Windows is much more convenient for transferring data (IMO, anyway).

Heh, yeah, any (not ancient) kernel with support compiled can read it easily. I do the 'small fat32 partition' thing because in my experience the ext2 solutions for Windows are slow (and can't write well), because Linux can write to fat32 perfectly, and because I have an intense dislike for ext2.

There are also ReiserFS tools available. Write support is not important, as you can always read the data under the other OS. I used to have a FAT partition for this purpose, but this way is much simpler. There are also other advantages, such as only having to store one copy of files you want to access under both OSes (documentation, mp3s etc.)

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Feb 24, 2004 @ 06:09 AM

Jeff, you should try posting more in your original thread. Have you tried using VirtualDubMod yet?

I got VirtualDub 1.5.10 and I can't get it to work at all. I select AVI capture and I get a frozen screen; when I try to cancel it, I crash the program and it shuts down.

Pinnacle won't load... VirtualDub crashes... the built-in movie maker won't recognize the pinnacle card. It seems like I can't capture video with anything except MGI Videowave 4.

I'll stick to that, but I haven't tried to capture anything longer than 10 minutes yet because it only captures raw video. I can't find a program that will compress as it captures. I will look for "VirtualDubMOD" that you mentioned.

Start by uninstalling all and any video/audio codecs you have, especially if you've installed one of those crap "codec packs" that are floating around.

If you don't have a codec PACK installed, you probably don't have to worry about that, but you can dig around in your computer and remove individual codecs if that is the problem. Exactly what model card is this again? You should be able to get other programs to capture video for you. You might want to even give the trial version of Dr. Divx a shot.

Why would a program install with no problem... (I installed pinnacle studio 8 in Oct.) and crash on a future installation (I had to do a system restore in January) ?

It is, afterall, the same computer and software. STudio 9 will also not install. It crashes as the registry is being altered. What are the possible reasons this would occur?

Please note: the program wouldn't install even in Safe mode.

Back