Critically acclaimed games

it290

Established Member
I just got through playing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and although I enjoyed the game quite a bit, I couldn't help but be reminded of an older game - Deus Ex. That game is lauded by nearly everybody, but when I played it I found the plotline uninspired, the characters wooden, the AI bad and the level design shoddy. Anyone else have a game that the gaming press seems to love, but you don't really care for? The Final Fantasy series also springs to mind instantly for me.

Spiderman 2!

Battlefield 2

Dragon Quest... oh dear do I freaking hate these games. You ever play the first 2? huh? MY GOD! Why do people find that crap fun... back then either? The crap was boring, bottom of the barrel RPG'ing... FF1 was more fun and that game is a hyped over rated pile of pooh just like its entire freaking series. fuck square/enix grrrrrrrr

Tekken... just come on, it's Tekken! ew

Resident freaking Evil!... not scary, stop telling me it is, not suspensful either. I have found more suspense in a Mario game for christ sake.

and if one more person in my town tells me that I'm a dumb ass for not liking the XBOX 360 or PSP and that I never plan on buying one nor the PS3 or let alone the PS2 I will bitch smack! I do own a PS2 for only one freaking reason

it was FREE! I own zero games for it and it was basically hooked up after my comp for movies crashed and will be fixed tomorrow... PS2 back in the closet.

All the Final Fantasy games.

Half Life 1. I hate fighting stupid aliens. It's not fun.

Though I really liked Deus Ex. So much so that I played it three times through, back, to back, to back. Though, I bought the GOTY editions years after the fact, so there might be something to be said for that.

Myst. As far as I'm concerned it was a step backwards in adventure games and not being terribly impressed with pre-rendered 3D graphics I wasn't particularly wowed in that department either.

I enjoyed HL1 a lot. Unlike most FPS games of the time it told a story and it did it in a way that tried not to break the illusion of the player being Gordan Freeman. No cutscenes, no levels, the story just unfolds as you interact with the people in the world. The AI on the soldiers wasn't bad for the time either. I still remember my surprise when I took cover from enemy fire only to find they had actually thrown a grenade at me.

I agree with most of it920's comments on Deus-ex. However, what made it stand out wasn't really any of those things, it was the emphasis on stealth in an FPS game that made it distinctive. Whether this made it worthy of all the praise it got is debatable I suppose.

I don't know if I think GTA3 is worthy of all the attention it gets. The first game in the series certainly stood out from the crowd. The level of freedom was unprecedented for the time, but as far as I can tell GTA3 uses pretty much the same formula as the first two, just in 3D. I guess part of my problem is that I never found the mission driven part of the games to be all that compelling and wandering around being a general menace to society gets old after a while.

I like GTA 3 and Vice City was good, but inferior to 3 and San Andreas is very disapointing. Dull world (most of it is desert, forestry and water) and all the extra bits they'e added on detract from the game. Why would I play GTA to chav up my motor or parachute?

I don't know if it counts, but I dislike stealth sections in games. They're okay in a stealth game, but if I play GTA or a platformer I don't want to be forced into doing things stealthily. On hitman 2 I got mass murderer on every level, I went out of my way to kill everyone (excluding those you cant, such as the generals) and slaugtered the civilians. So, excluding shenmue, I hate games where they force you to be stealthy.

Also, Final Fantasy and MMORPGs. And the catacombs from RTCW. And those sections where you are in a forest/room of portals and have to get the right order by chance. Anyone play on Icewind Dale 2? There is a forest where you have to go through the right entrance out of 4, about 10 times in a row, and all the places bar 2 are identicle. You cant even dump stuff on the floor to distinguish where you have been as it will disapear. I don't think this was possible without a friend knowing the answer (he probably used a walkthrough himself) or having NO life whatsoever.

Also mirror puzzles are shit.

Final Fantasy VII. I really feel that VI was better in pretty much all of the aspects that matter.

There were two way over-hyped games that I bought. KOTOR and Champions of Norrath. After KOTOR II was released, I kinda got into the kotor games, but never got into norrath. People who compare it to PSO are full of it. It is nowhere near as fun as PSO.

KOTOR is okay, but I completed it on hard 1st time with no difficulty at all. It is probably one of the easiest games ever (excluding the kiddie fodder EA turn out every week)

Tomb Raider series-

I guess I can't identify with women adventurers that are absolutely devoid of character and personality. There were lost teenage days when I'd go to my friend's house and I'd watch him play boring videogames. This was one of those games.

GTA 3- I really shouldn't say that it's overrated since i have never really played any 3d incarnations of GTA, but I don't see the big deal about running around and causing general mayhem in a game. I imagine it being just as Mask of Destiny described, boring missions that really force you to try to go nuts and shoot everyone 'til it gets old. Though I do enjoy it when you can cause general mayhem in a game where it's not meant to be the centerpiece of the game, eg: chasing and killing servants in Thief.

The Sims- It's fun for about a couple hours- It is addictive, but after a few hours the fun just goes away, as the gameplay becomes rote repitition and unnecessarily hectic. and still.... you can't exit the game.... hours go by, you're hunched over the keys.... waiting for two more ticks on a goddamn charisma meter....

... and then you realize you could actually work on improving your real life self. I guess it's motivational at the very least.

Part of the fun of the GTA series is your ability to do nothing and anything in a game world. And not necessarily be a menace. Not so much GTA3, because it's a time period piece (relative to other games of the time).

I feel the same way about Deus Ex. Now it's probably not the most amazing game ever, but the ability to change the game's path in little ways was intriguing. And all the side missions! Very interesting stuff.

GTA:SA is also a period sort of game, except the sort of leverage you get in the game (just simply doing... whatever) is quite impressive. Even the ending isn't an end.

I maintain though GTA2 is still the best GTA.

I feel the same way about Deus Ex. Now it's probably not the most amazing game ever, but the ability to change the game's path in little ways was intriguing. And all the side missions! Very interesting stuff.

I guess for me, the fact that I had already played RPGs such as Fallout that did this to a much greater degree made Deus Ex leave me not so impressed in that respect, and the FPS part wasn't really compelling compared to other games from the same period such as Half-Life and No One Lives Forever. Also the fact that Deus Ex had a huge memory leak and ran like crap on anything but a Voodoo card when it first came out didn't really help.

all fps (i was hooked on rouge spear and rainbow 6 though)

the GTA series

ya i dont really play games anymore so ill have to say all the games that are critically acclaimed

Back