- tile or bitmap address
- map address

0 NBG0 pattern name data
1 NBG1 pattern name data
2 NBG2 pattern name data
3 NBG3 pattern name data
4 NBG0 character pattern data or bit mapped data
5 NBG1 character pattern data or bit mapped data
6 NBG2 character pattern data (NBG2 does not support bit mapped displays)
7 NBG3 character pattern data (NBG3 does not support bit mapped displays)
8 This value is illegal
9 This value is illegal
10 This value is illegal
11 This value is illegal
12 NBG0 vertical cell scroll table data
13 NBG1 vertical cell scroll table data
14 CPU data (i.e., the CPU may either read from or write to VRAM)
15 Nobody can access VRAM

From what I have been told the SGL uses several tables for calculating the minimum cycles required based on the settings the programmer wants... have you checked Rockin-B's SGL replacement to see if he does the same?

Amon said:
From what I have been told the SGL uses several tables for calculating the minimum cycles required based on the settings the programmer wants... have you checked Rockin-B's SGL replacement to see if he does the same?

AFAIK, Rockin-B's SGL replacement source code is not available :/

Nor do i think he even released it. I thought he did... hmmm he did make some posts about the cycle patterns though

I know that it isn't fun setting the cycle patterns, but the question is... is it worth doing all of this? You set it once and hopefully forget it. You can always go through the object files in SGL to see how they do it, but they way I see it, you have to store a lot of state in order to resolve conflicts.

Piratero said:
I know that it isn't fun setting the cycle patterns, but the question is... is it worth doing all of this? You set it once and hopefully forget it. You can always go through the object files in SGL to see how they do it, but they way I see it, you have to store a lot of state in order to resolve conflicts.

lot of state in order to resolve conflicts is not really a problem if it's an external tool.

vbt said:
Piratero said:

lot of state in order to resolve conflicts is not really a problem if it's an external tool.

The same state you would have to keep during runtime would be the same state you would need in the cycle pattern calculator.

I would never of have thought to have an external calculator, but that would be an interesting tool to have. In that case, I'd like it.

sure a tool like this would great, with some javascript it would be easy to fix and update.

Back