DC Video Output

why do I only get a black Screen if I plug my Dreamcast into my PC TV-Card???

the same method worked fine for my Sega Saturn...

I may be wrong but i remember reading about this before,...

I have heard that the DC can detect what video source it is plugged into make adjustsments to its video output.

One thing that i am sure of though is that your video card may not accept a 50 or 60Hz input (depending on what your DC is) You may need to adjust your video cards options so that it is set to the same video region as the DC (sorry if this sounds obvious).

well, my Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast are both the same Region, so I doubt it would be the cause for the black screen

the other thing is, I use a Cable which has a Scart and a AV output on it (both) if I plug the Scart in to the TV and the AV into the TV Card only the TV card shows a black screen while the TV displays the video output just fine... I guess if would detect the TV Card as a recording device the image should turn black on both Monitor & TV set....

so that it seems that your other guess with the 50/60 Hz rate should be right, but I have no Idea if I can adjust my TV Card at all.... and since it works for the Saturn I can't really see why not with the DC...

well any help would be appreciated :D

well if I plug my DC with that SCART + AV Cable into the TV and VRC at the same time the black screen is only on VRC so that's defenetly because the Dreamcast recognizes a recording device, if pluged in one, and adjusts the Video Output accordingly...

so, anyone got an Idea how "override" it? :D

would be cool ^^

Actually, it sounds more like your "SCART+AV" cable is not working properly. Probably only one of the leads work at a time, or the AV leads are not working. Ever tried a "normal" AV cable?

no, it's not the cable...cause:

1. it works fine with 2 TV sets connected (was my first Idea too ^^)

2. if I plug the DC with a simple Scart Cable to the TV set and with another Scart Cable, over the second Scart port, in to the TV Card, the TV Card still shows a black screen (this method also worked fine with the Saturn)

so it's defenetly this "recording-device-recognition-thingy" that was mentioned here earlier ^^

Recording device detection sounds too weird for me, specially in a console. I've seen VHS footage of DC games before, so it obviously doesn't have such fancy protection. I also believe it's not that possible to "detect" recording devices - the most I saw on anti-recording schemes involved sending signals that can confuse a digital timing device (capture cards, not-too-old VCRs), and causes image and audio to go out of sync, at best (it can be really annoying).

I'll say: try using another cable, preferrably a standard RCA, and see what happens. Maybe the VCR and the TV card are not generating enough current for the DC to activate the output ports, or something like that...

first of all, I've already recorded a couple of Intros from my Sega Saturn for SegaXTreme, using my TV Card and worked out fine...

it worked with both Methods:...

1 - pluggin' the Sega Saturn directly into the TV-Card with an AV-Cable

2 - pluggin' the Sega Saturn with a SCART-Cable into the TV set and over the second SCART Port in to the TV-Card (so that I get an Image both on the TV set and the TV-Card)

(I've got a Scart, AV and a SCART + AV cables for the Dreamcast, and it didn't work with any of them!)

none of the Methods worked for the Dreamcast, no matter what method or cable I use... so it can't be any cable or hardware that causes the black screen

recognizing a device as a recording device is not that hell of work to do, so I consider that as very realistic cause for the black screen, if anybody is able to plug his/her Dreamcast into a VRC or TV-Card and do some recording, please tell me.

THX

You don't tell what TV card you use but here is a little bit of info :

Quote from Hauppauge.fr website (notice the .fr)

"Warning, Dreamcast use PAL BG but an unsupported frequence by WinTV"

Link to the FAQ (in french).

I can't see this info on the US site

Hope it help.

Back