Dell Dimension 8200 Ram?

Jaded God

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what kind of ram a Dell Dimension 8200 uses? My friend has one and it is a p4 2.0 ghZ with 256mb of RAM he tells me... Isn't there a way to check on your comp if its RD, DDR etc?

He wants to put 512 in it and is too lazy to open the damn thing up. I am pretty sure it would prob be RD but I need someone to confirm this.

Also if it has another slot for a harddrive.. Meaning 2 total.

We got problems at work with Dells not working with standard ram sticks ... we had to buy it from them at a substancially higher price than at the local reseller's ... :(

You think that's bad Runik? My dad's work has nothing but Dells, and they suck. You'd think when dealing with vital data you wouldn't use a single failure-prone HD and a crappy unreliable system, but you'd think wrong.

Anyway, as for the RAM: What Ice said, with a little note. It has 4 slots, two are likely filled with 128MB modules, and you could put a pair of RAM sticks in the other two. Make sure you pull out the old "placeholder" continuity sticks and not the existing memory. :D Oh, and if he plans on keeping the system for a while, he may want to consider getting two 256MB sticks instead of two 128s. You'll have to check prices on PC800.

Edit: Yeah, you have a second HD bay. It uses rails, it says it has rails attached to the inside of the case. The diagram shows the HDs being annoyingly close to each other, but whatever. May not be so bad in the actual case, and besides, not my problem.

Back