Desktop or Tower

mal

Established Member
I'd typed a big whinge story, but I've decided to get rid of it. No need for the negative energy. :D

The question - I'm building a PC to use at work out of bits that I have cluttering up the house, but I needed to buy a motherboard. I got an ABIT NF7-S only to find that it needs the extra 12v connector which my existing spare cases don't have. They're desktops so getting new PSUs would be too much hassle.

So I'm planning on getting a swish Antec case as a bit of an 'up yours' to work, but I can't settle on whether it should be a desktop or a tower.

The tower would probably be a Sonata or maybe even an 1080AMG and the desktop an Overture.

Opinions please. :)

Well I like that desktop, its flashy and cute.

But I had to go with tower. Considering that I highly doubt you'd put that pretty lil' case under your monitor, (I know I wouldn't) it is then going to take up much more space then the tower. I like the smaller of the two towers too. That and towers can be used as foot stools. :blink:

I'd go a tower personally - the Sonata to be specific. It's meant to be a good quiet case, and the other one is huuuge. :)

The desktop is flashy, but you'd probably end up putting it on its side anyway - space saving is too handy, usually.

I say go for the desktop. Desktops are pretty cool, especially decked out with matching accessories and monitor. Everyone has towers these days, so if you're looking to irk people, a slick desktop is a good way to do it.

I went and bought an Overture case (and it does look good) but when I started to put it together I discovered that the cable from the PSU to the motherboard isn't long enough. :rant

My HTPC (or should that be MCE PC?) at home is in a Sonata so I guess that I'll be swapping cases over when I get home. :(

we told you to get the tower... but noooo, you had to have the desktop.

wait, I think I voted wrong. Hrmmm, hell if I can remember, it was yesterday and I was tired.

When I went out and bought the case the majority vote was for the desktop. :lol:

As it happens, the power cable does just reach, but it's going to be too much trouble finding a good quiet CPU cooler for that case/motherboard combo (there's no room at all for anything big) so the swap is going ahead anyway.

Back