Deus Ex: Invisible War demo

Myname

Established Member
There's been quite a backlash about it in the last few days. Mainly people saying how it seems to be a crap port of the Xbox version (with good reason, in a lot of ways). The game's gone gold now though, too late to do much about it.

I've been really looking forward to this for a while, but I'm a bit apprehensive having 'played' the demo. I say 'played' because 99% of the time was spent fiddling with settings to make it playable. If I can't run this on my system in anything more than 640x480, I don't hold out much hope for Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 :(. And my computer's not even that bad..

it sucks, bad, runs horribly, and theres this gigantic ugly thing in the middle of the screen that covers it all, when i ran it with 2xfsaa it was essentially unplayably slow

I haven't tried it, but I remember the original Deus Ex had _terrible_ performance on my old GeForce (which was sweet for the time)... it ran well on Voodoos, of course. (grr) I think HL2 and Doom 3 may be a good bit more optimized (especially HL2).

I probably won't be getting this game.. never really understood the hype surrounding the original Deus Ex.. sure, it was an OK game, but the story and RPG elements (which were what it was touted for) were pathetically cheesy.

deus ex 1 ran ok on my tnt2, this new one is ass tho, runs shitty on my 3.06 w/ a 5800u, i dont think its by the same company as the original either

Yes, Invisible War is also made by Ion Storm. The main difference is that Warren Spector isn't the director even though he is involved in the game.

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 1, 2003 @ 01:34 PM

3.06 w/ a 5800u

IIRC the PC version attempts to use DirectX 9's pixel shaders, which the FX line totally blows at.

That said, I haven't tried it yet myself... but it sounds like at Beyond3D they've noticed the same thing, Radeons run it a whole lot faster.

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 1, 2003 @ 07:20 PM

it was a stupid move to make a game that requires dx9 shaders imo

Well for one it's a DEMO, not a full game. =)

And for another, the market penetration of the new DX9 lineups is tremendous compared to the previous couple generations (early adoption wise). =)

And third, I doubt DX9 shaders are required... considering the Xbox doesn't even support them, and that was the primary platform for the game!

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Dec 2, 2003 @ 08:30 AM

Yeah, but the game went to production a couple of days after the demo was released.. Not enough time to change anything much.

I've got no doubt there'll be a patch coming straight away for the cosmetic stuff (the intrusive HUD, horrendous inventory interface etc.), but it's hard to see how they're going to be able to make a massive difference with the performance.

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Dec 1, 2003 @ 07:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Dec 1, 2003 @ 07:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Dec 1, 2003 @ 07:20 PM

it was a stupid move to make a game that requires dx9 shaders imo

And for another, the market penetration of the new DX9 lineups is tremendous compared to the previous couple generations (early adoption wise). =)

And third, I doubt DX9 shaders are required... considering the Xbox doesn't even support them, and that was the primary platform for the game! [/b][/quote]

last i heard the demo didnt run on anything without dx9 shader support

I havn't played the game, but in my mag, they keep refering to it as a RPG. Is it a rpg? I totally thought it was a first person shooter.

Originally posted by Jurai@Dec 1, 2003 @ 07:58 PM

last i heard the demo didnt run on anything without dx9 shader support

Demos can be finalised at totally different times from games.

For all we know, the demo was compiled and packaged several weeks ago, maybe at a time when the PC DX8 backend wasn't stable enough for release?

deus ex 1 ran ok on my tnt2, this new one is ass tho, runs shitty on my 3.06 w/ a 5800u, i dont think its by the same company as the original either

Whoa... I shudder to think if what It would run like on my 2600+ and 9500 pro then.

I havn't played the game, but in my mag, they keep refering to it as a RPG. Is it a rpg? I totally thought it was a first person shooter.

Well, if it's anything like the first one, it's a FPS with RPG elements... that is, it plays like an FPS, but you can upgrade your character's stats and skills, gain experience points, and depending on who you talk to and what you say to them, different events will occur. It's sort of a genre-bender.

Back