Do I need to run a software firewall?

racketboy

Established Member
I just got a cable internet connection -- my first home broadband connection

My cable modem goes to my wireless router.

My router has built-in firewall.

Do I still need to run a software firewall on all my machines?

If it's a windows box, yes. Hell I run a software firewall in addition to a simiilar Linksys router\firewall. It's all about security in layers. I like Zone Alarm because it's a piece of cake to configure, and I feel that it blocks of everything I need it to. I don't get the same flexibility from most hardware firewalls.

In theory it's a good idea purely for protection against worms/trojans opening outgoing connections (many connect to an IRC server to accept commands), but I don't know of any that aren't bloated and/or expensive.

I know with Kerio iv noticed no difference.

Looking at the system requirments for Sygates personal firewall im thinking you wont notice anything with that either.

Even if there is a small differnce it is made up for because these standalone firewalls have alot more configurable features.

After checking that Sygate firewall out im tempted to give it a try myself. :)

Start with turning off unecessary services first, worry about a firewall after that. If you have a NAT router w/firewall and you shut off unecessary services, the only big security hole you need to worry about is yourself.

Personally I don't see any performance drop when switchin' from sygate to windows firewall then back to Sygate.

Tried a firewall which came part of an ISP security suite a few days ago (aka Blueyonder PCguard) and it had a horrible impact on performance. Switching the firewall off and going bck to sygate helped, but gonna have to go back to AVG for anti-virus too, PCgaurd is just too bloated IMHO.

Sayin' that, I read somewhere that Windows Firewall gives your computer firewall protection early on from boot, or much sooner than other software firewalls.

Personally I use Sygate on my laptop and Windows Firewall on a much older machine. Basically when deciding on a software firewall, if you need a more configurable firewall and to block out-going progs etc, probs best looking for somethin' other than windows firewall. As on my laptop and I need to be able to configure, on the slower comp which is my grandfathers, simplicity is needed.

Back