Do I sell parts of my collection?

Hey guys, long time no see. I don't even know how many of you wil remember me.

Well, I have a question that only fellow gamers can help me to answer. Please note: This is NOT a for sale post. I just want advice on IF I should sell parts of my collection, or find another way to come up with cash. It's a "what would you do?" post.

Anyway, here goes.

I used to have a really great job, doing mainframe programming and support for an IBM contractor in an IBM facility. I made tons of cash. Well, when the economy started going sour, IBM moved all of our jobs out of the country. Which left me unemployed, and with no way to pay my bills. I went through unemployment money, and my savings, real quick. I was unemployed for 10 months.

Finally, I got a job last October, making a lot less than I used to, but hey, a jobs a job. And around here, you take it where you can get it.

So I have finally started paying my debts off, one by one. I just paid off a personal loan, among others. Well, one debt couldn't wait.

Last week i was served by US Marshalls with papers. I'm being sued. The amount is more than $4500, plus court fees, lawyers fees, penalties, etc....The total amount could reach between 8 to 10 grand, not to mention absolutely destroy my credit.

And it couldn't come at a worse time, what with my future-wife being 4 months pregnant and all. (yes, i'm finally going to be a father, WOOOHOOO!)

I spoke to them, and they said that they would drop the case, and settle for 2700 bucks, out of court. With no fees or anything. Problem is, they want the cash by June 30th. No exceptions.

I have 200 bucks. That's it. So that gives me a month to come up with 2500 dollars.

Now, it looks like i'll be able to come up with a grand or so by selling off my car audio equipment. But as for the rest, I have no clue what to do. Here's where you guys come in. I have collected video games for quite a few years, and have some nice things I could sell. But do I want to? Should I sell off my collection, or try to find another way? Some othe the things I have are a mint Panzer Dragoon Saga, and mint in box Turboduo. And a lot more.

I really don't want to let any of my stuff go, but I really don't see another way.

Not to mention I will probably not ever be able to build my collection back up again.

So what would you guys suggest I do? Do you have any suggestions on how I can come up with the cash? Would you sell your prized collection? If not, what would you do instead?

I really need some advice here. And you guys are the only ones I know who care enough about gaming and game collecting that can actually understand what i'm going through, and give me the proper advice.

as hard as it sounds, your personal future is more important that games.

just do a good job selling them indiviually (esp for expensive pieces) and get some cash.

then once you get back on your feet, you can start over.

I agree whole-heartedly with racketboy.

Although I hope you can make the necessary amount of money without having to sell your copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. But you gotta do what you gotta do...

You could try "pawning" them. Not to strangers, but to people you know. That way when you get the cash you can buy them back. At least with some of the more rare stuff that's probably more important to you.

Sorry about your situation though. Sucks, but 'tis the way things seem to be going these days :(

I've been in a similar situation. I sold off my entire videogame collection. The only problem was, I got screwed on lots of things. I didn't have a PC so I had no way of checking prices. Sold my mint copy of PS 1-4 for about $50 cash. Moral of the story, make sure you get a fair price. And try to keep some things, like maybe the Saturn and PDS. Let me know if you decide to sell your Turbo Duo, I might be interested.

:(

Well, I guess you guys are right. The thing that sucks is if they gave me another month or so, so say late July or sometime in August, i'd be able to come up with the cash. :(

But they won't extend it at all.

But Quadriflax, that is a very good idea. I don't know if anyone I know will go for it, but it would be great if they did. Then I could just buy the pieces back, one by one.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything.

Thanks for the replies and opinions guys. It means a lot. I know you all understand how hard it is.

I guess I really have to sit down and go through what I have and sort it all out.

Any more opinions or advice is very very welcome.

Especially if you know of a way where I won't have to get rid of anything.(I wish)

Thank you all again.

On a happy note, did I mention I was going to be a dad in a few months? I did? Well, WHOOHOOO again! lol I'm so happy, I can't wait. We're hoping for a girl.

Man, that's rough :( If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting sued for?

I guess if selling your collection is the only possible way to go about it then you have to do it. Couldn't you get a loan from a bank or, more preferable, from a friend/family member? I know it seems a bit much to take out a loan when you have so much to sell but later on if you want everything back again it probably will cost you quite a bit more than paying off interest, not to mention spending all that time finding everything you sold off... and I've noticed that it is a lot harder for guys to come home with 'new' games/systems when they are married :lol:

It sounds like you have quite the collection though, maybe I could help you out by 'renting' a few items for awhile. Just like Quadriflax suggested, I could buy the stuff off of you but sell it back once you got the funds again.

Anyways, I wish you luck and hope everything works out well in the end :)

And of course, congrats on being a father.

---Ammut

hmm the renting thing doesn't sound like a bad idea.

altough I would only rent out games to people on here who are in high-standing

Originally posted by Ammut@May 27, 2004 @ 05:30 PM

Man, that's rough :( If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting sued for?

It's just debt that i wasn'table to pay off. When i was working there, I got paid pretty good. So I financed a few things, trying to build my credit up. I wanted to buy a house in a few years, so I had to have a good credit background. Well, when I was let go, I was unable to pay these bills. I didn't even get two weeks notice. We were all let go right out of the blue.

For example, my car. It's fairly new. I pay 400 a month for it. Haven't driven it in a year and a half. It's sitting in my back yard. I can't sell it, because it's worth 3 grand less than what i owe on it. If I were to sell it, i'd have to have three grand cash to pay the loan company to cover the difference.

So I have no choice but to keep paying on it every month. I just can't afford the insurance anymore, so I can't drive it.

As far as working a second job, yes, i have already considered that. In fact, I may already have one. I will more than likely find out next week wether I am hired or not. i already work 40 hours with occasional overtime, and if I get this part-time job, it will only be for 15-20 hours. I can't spare any more than that. i need to be around a least a little for her and the baby. I can't let her go throught he rest of the pregnancy barely ever there for her because i'm at work all the time. I need to be there. And when the baby's born, I won't be able to to work both jobs anymore. I need to help with the baby.

Even if I do get the second job, it still won't pay me enough to come up with 2700 in 30 days. :( :puke:

Ammut, I may just take you up on your offer.

Either way, over the weekend i'm going through my whole collection, all of my car audio equipment, and any other stuff I have laying around and sorting it all out.

We went through the numbers last night, and it just may be possible to do this, as long as everything goes perfect.

Let's hope. Then maybe I can start working on getting a new place for us, our current place really isn't big enough for us and a baby.

They could, but i'd still have t come up with the cash difference. When they repo a car, the audtion it off, usually for book or slightly below. Then, the owner that they repoed it from (me int his case) pays the difference between that and the amount of the loan. Not to mention it'll destroy my credit much worse than it is now.

Good thing about my credit, the car loan has been kept up to date, along with a personal loan I kept up to date on, and paid off early. As long as I can avoid court in this case, and keep my car from getting taken, my credit will only show a delinquesnt account that a settlement was reached on. Far better than if I go to court and get a judgement, have my car taken, or claim bankruptcy.

It is still very much recoverable from. But if I go to court, or any of the other things happen, i'm done for the next 9 years.(the amount of time it takes for things to be removed from your credit report)

I want to try as hard as I can to work this out. If I can't, I can't. But it won't be for lack of trying.

Good news!! I just got off the phone with them, and they said that they MAY be able to reduce it further. So it would go from 2700, to 2258. Big difference. I'll find out tuesday if they will or not. I feel that they will. :)

If so, this will boost my chances significantly. That's a difference of almost 450 dollars.

Update:

I sold a bunch of audio equipment this past week. So I'm up to about 700 so far, if not a little over. Hopefully by the end of the week i'll be over a grand, and I still have a nice amp to sell that I should get 350-400 for. And I haven't sold any of my game collection. If things keep going at this rate, I might not have to dip into my collection at all. :) :)

Indeed it is. I hope things turn out well for you, zx7ninja. Although I can't relate to your situation personally, I can imagine how it must be really distressing to deal with all that you are. I wouldn't want you to be forced to part with anything that you would rather keep, but all the same, I thought I'd let you know that if you do need to sell, I would be interested in either the Turboduo or PDS. Both happen to be items I've been keen on acquiring for a while now. I also would not be opposed to the "pawn" idea mentioned earlier, and if it comes to that, you'll be happy to know that I treat all my equipment and games as if they were delicate glass antiques.

Let me know if you would like to make a deal with one of those items. In the mean time, good luck to you!

Just thought i'd give you guys an update. I was able to negotiate a settlement with them for 2400 dollars. Which I have managed to get, without selling any of my prized items.

I also had enough left over to insure my car again, and get it back on the road. (it feels good to not have to drive an 89 civid with 190, 000 miles on it anymore)

Unfortunately, due to the stress of the situation, and other situations which may not have been as bad by themselves, I am no longer with my love.

In fact, she is not ever sure she ever wants to see me again, due to the stress and

the fighting it caused.

This just happened this past Friday. :(

The due date for our daughter is December first, and I no longer can feel her kick, listem to her move, or anything. I'll be lucky if I get a call when she goes into labor.

I wish it was different, but that's what I have to accept I guess.

Thank you all for your support, and wishes. It means a lot to me. I may still get rid of my stuff, but I will hole onto it for now as an "ace in the hole" for when I absolutely need to sell it, so I can provide for my daughter. If I can get a place in her life, that is. :(

Sorry for venting on you guys, i'm really not all there right now, and not thinking clearly. Thanks for the forgiveness.

Originally posted by zx7ninja+Jul 27, 2004 @ 04:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zx7ninja @ Jul 27, 2004 @ 04:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just thought i'd give you guys an update. I was able to negotiate a settlement with them for 2400 dollars. Which I have managed to get, without selling any of my prized items.

I also had enough left over to insure my car again, and get it back on the road. (it feels good to not have to drive an 89 civid with 190, 000 miles on it anymore)[/b]

That's good...

<!--QuoteBegin-zx7ninja

Unfortunately, due to the stress of the situation, and other situations which may not have been as bad by themselves, I am no longer with my love.

In fact, she is not ever sure she ever wants to see me again, due to the stress and

the fighting it caused.

This just happened this past Friday.

The due date for our daughter is December first, and I no longer can feel her kick, listem to her move, or anything. I'll be lucky if I get a call when she goes into labor.

I wish it was different, but that's what I have to accept I guess.

Thank you all for your support, and wishes. It means a lot to me. I may still get rid of my stuff, but I will hole onto it for now as an "ace in the hole" for when I absolutely need to sell it, so I can provide for my daughter. If I can get a place in her life, that is.
[/quote]

But this just sucks. I hope you can work something out, man. It would be pretty shitty if you couldn't be there for her.

Back