Don't order those goods from Lik-Sang just yet.

Quote: from Captian Crazy on 5:23 pm on Feb. 20, 2002

this software piracy stuff is going to far...

Well, IMO it's rather hard to justify the need for a cart back up. CDs get scratched, but unless you treat your cart like total shiat you shouldn't need one of those things. And if it breaks natually you can just return it I'm sure. The whole NEO4 and whatnot, that's another story. And don't get me started on the whole DeCSS issue. Those bastards.

I have another view on piracy... It should be the companys fault that their product was/is able to be a victim of software piracy.. However saying that, don't get the clue I support software piracy.

Well, IMO it's rather hard to justify the need for a cart back up. CDs get scratched, but unless you treat your cart like total shiat you shouldn't need one of those things. And if it breaks natually you can just return it I'm sure. The whole NEO4 and whatnot, that's another story. And don't get me started on the whole DeCSS issue. Those bastards.

It's not about justification. Its about a right consumers used to have that the entertainment lobby and their lap-dog clinton took away from us.

Its similarly hard to justify the need to backup a DVD.. They dont have a magnetic media that degrades over time like a VHS tape. Thing is, under DMCA, you dont OWN the movie on the DVD, you own a very limited liscence to watch that film on a liscenced DVD-playback machine. Ie; you have no right to transfer it to any other media (vhs/divx/vcd) and watch it.

Same with console games.. If you read the print on the xbox box theres something to the effect of the liscence for the xbox and its software being limited only to use on teh xbox, and says in no uncertain terms that YOU do not own it (ie; you cant read, decompile, reverse engineer, etc)

Piracy or no, the DMCA tramples all over fair-use provisions in existing copyright law, provisions which have been in place for hundreds of years to protect consumers from big business. The same provisions that let you sing 'Happy Birthday' to a friend without having to pay royalties.

I'm afraid the DMCA is just the first path down a slipperly slope.

Quote: from Swanolust on 3:21 pm on Feb. 20, 2002

I think this one speaks for itself.

Article

(Edited by Swanolust at 1:22 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

thanx man

i was planning on buying a sega genesis MEGA CD 2 add on MEGA DRIVE III

thats why im trying to get one used from someone on these forums i already made posts in the buy/sell forum

Quote: from Quadriflax on 2:42 pm on Feb. 20, 2002

Quote: from Captian Crazy on 5:23 pm on Feb. 20, 2002

this software piracy stuff is going to far...
Well, IMO it's rather hard to justify the need for a cart back up.

Not it's not. Say I'm a developer for homebrewn gameboy stuff. I wouldn't be able to use my program/game on a real gameboy without a flash cart. That's the legal justification for a flash cart.

The DMCA is so messed up it's not even funny. With it in place, everybody is assumed guilty until innocsent. You have a flash cart thing? You must pirate GB games then. You have a modchip? You must pirate PSX/Saturn/PS2 games then. You have a serial cable? You must pirate Dreamcast games then.

All 3 of those products have valid, legal uses, but the DMCA doesn't think so.

I'm surprised as how CD burners haven't been banned in this country yet.

That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read, Do these knobs realize that people develop their own games from home? what tools.

Why hasn't the DMCA been shut down yet? I would think that their would be enough protests to its actions to warrent its removal from power.

I just ordered something from Lik-Sang about a week ago (last sunday). It got here today. They changed mail carriers to speedpost. If you read carefully they were only stopping UPS's mail. You can order from them whenever you want.

"Piracy or no, the DMCA tramples all over fair-use provisions in existing copyright law, provisions which have been in place for hundreds of years to protect consumers from big business."

I've been saying this stuff since before DMCA was passed. The anti-circumvention law is an overly broad law that hurts both consumers (who are legally required to put up with annoying access controls) and authors (who may not wish their works to be "protected" by access controls). It's really an excuse for the big boys to control the markets for various hardware and software by controlling the licensing terms for the access control systems.

"Its about a right consumers used to have that the entertainment lobby and their lap-dog clinton took away from us."

IMO, Clinton doesn't really deserve the blame for DMCA. According to the Library of Congress's online database, DMCA was passed in the Senate by a unanimous vote. All Clinton could have really done is delay it.

"Well, IMO it's rather hard to justify the need for a cart back up. CDs get scratched, but unless you treat your cart like total shiat you shouldn't need one of those things. And if it breaks natually you can just return it I'm sure."

Just because you haven't experienced spontaneous hardware failure doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. And, as plenty of people can tell you, it doesn't always happen within the warranty period, let alone the store's return period. If a consumer wants to be paranoid and keep backups of everything, it's not the right of Nintendo, Sony, Sega, DVDCCA, MPAA, RIAA, or anyone else to screw with the market so that it's illegal or impractical to do so.

The truth of the matter is that they want market control - the piracy claims are just an easy way for them to look good while going after anything that threatens their control. And if you doubt that this is a control issue, go read the actual law, noting the abundant use of the phrase "technological measure that effectively controls access". That's why Johansen was arrested - he wasn't out spreading 1337 w4r3z, he was providing ways around the access controls that allow the movie companies to put up artificial market barriers and otherwise mess with consumers in order to inflate profits.

Trenton, it might be a ripoff if you live in HK/china. but it's the only decent way to get any of that stuff in other countries, unless you start selling the same stuff at a "fair" price for us here.

just saying "that's a ripoff" and not doing anything else isn't gonna help anyone who doesn't live in HK.

Ahh, but the beauty of it all is that I don't live in HK. Im in Canada, and im sure alot of other Canadian Chinese would agree, you can still get loads of stuff really cheap.

Back in the day, I got my Game Docter with my SNES when it just came out. Was going to ask my uncle to get one, but supprise! Chinese stores in Canada seemed to be stocked up fully, so I got one here.

(Edited by Trenton net at 10:03 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

im sure alot of other Canadian Chinese would agree, you can still get loads of stuff really cheap.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but this all seems predicated on the assumption that the customer is of Chinese ancestry, or close enough to not raise any red flags. Is this the case, or can anyone with suitable knowledge of the merchandise and lanugage get these wonderful prices?

To be honest, anyone really can.

As long as you know what you want, and you don't ask questions. If your wondering where did the tax go and things like that, don't! Because if you ask for a recipt or something, you can just forget it. Sure, they will give you one, but your not getting any deals, and you sure as #### probably won't be told about anything. Most likely if you did that, and your non-chinese they would think your a cop or something. If you mind your own business things is generaly good.

(Edited by Trenton net at 12:29 am on Feb. 21, 2002)

Back