Dreamcast Joystick Question

I am making an arcade out of a dreamcast and VGA monitor. I have everything I need, but I am reconsidering the joystick.

I currently have a Tomax with a broken LEFT (it doesn't snap back). I would put the effort into fixing it if it would work. I like the idea of it vibrating.

Are there any other arcade like sticks that vibrate? From what I understand the Tomax is not very popular. Can anyone explain why it is so hated and let me know what vibrating stick I should try?

The Topmax joystick you're talking about is a total piece of crap. The stick is extremely loose and the buttons are total junk. The only really worthwhile joystick for the DC is the Agetec stick, however it doesn't vibrate. It's a good stick and easily modded, however. If you want a DC stick, that's the one to get. Trust me, good quality is more important than the novelty of vibration.

Arcade sticks aren't meant to vibrate, give up on that part because you will not find any GOOD joystick that vibrates. If you NEED vibration, dont use a joystick, thats basically what it comes down to. Now, you're options for good DC sticks are:

The official DC Agetec stick:

Not a bad stick, best licensed product by far, but the parts are decent at best. If you arent looking to spend a huge sum though, this is the best ~$60 can get you.

DC MAS stick:

www.massystems.com

They make quality sticks, but there shipping times and customer service are VERY hit and miss, if you go this route make sure you get a Competition stick and competition buttons. This is the beginning of the $100+ stick market.

Custom Stick Builder:

There are several excellent custom stick builders around, mostly residing on shoryuken.com, going this route usually leads to the best possible stick and most personallized, but it costs a pretty penny also. My latest Sanwa outfitted custom from finkle cost me over $170. If you get a stick from Byrdo(quite possibly the best joysticks on the planet, EXTREMELY custom and each stick is like a work of art in its own right), those have gone for $400 before :blink:

galleries of customs:

Finkle

http://photobucket.com/albums/y239/suite53sticks/ (click on commissioned work to see more)

Nasci

http://www.quartercircleforward.com/sticks.htm

Dreaded Fist

http://home.comcast.net/~dreadedfist/

Byrdo

Couple sticks contain animated nudity, wont display publicly.

You can also build a custom yourself, arcadecontrols.com has lots o info for that type of stuff.

Lastly, you can buy a converter and use any PS2 stick. I use the Total Control Plus I believe, it works well for my needs. This opens up your non custom options to something like a Hori Real Arcade Pro, the best stock stick on the market.

Those are your options, dont stray from one of those, please. This info is coming from someone who has owned 2 MAS sticks, an expensive custom, a modded Pelican stick, a modded HRAP, a T5 stick, an SvC stick, and more sticks than that even. This goes for anyone else as well, This is info for a Dreamcast arcade stick. Any ?s or what have you PM me.

Back