EB Games No More

schi0249

Mid Boss
Gamestop has crushed another rival; I don't know when this happened however. I was trying to figure out why so many EB's in my area were closing. Then I find an article in Reuter's that explained it all. Being an individual that has been screwed by Gamestop (both as an employee and customer) this really pisses me off.

Originally posted by schi0249@Tue, 2005-05-31 @ 05:31 AM

I was trying to figure out why so many EB's in my area were closing. Then I find an article in Reuter's that explained it all.

[post=134694]Quoted post[/post]​

Got link?

Bah. They're praticaly identical anyway, both extremely over-priced. Two-thirds of the used games either of them around here have are priced less than $4 below the price to buy them brand new at Toys R Us or Best Buy. The only thing either of them are good for is periphials (controlers, connector cables, etc.) and occasionaly a harder-to-find DVD.

Actually, Gspot is looking to crush even more than EB... they are aware of Gamecrazy and The other one, by blockbuster.. whatever thats called. But I work for gspot, and got a call from the district manager last week, they wanted to know the names of any "mom and pop" videogame places in the area, and phone numbers. I inquired about this on a recent conference call, and they said it was apart of their plan to "corner the market".. f---ed up aint it.. oh well so much for friendly competition.

F'n bastards. I have so much hatred for them. They are on the same level as Walmart and Home Depot. When I managed for them, I almost got fired for no reason. My DM was fired even though we were the top district in our region. The RM then decided to fire any managers that were loyal to the old DM. Even though I had increased sales by 70%, they wanted to fire me.

yeah man, that place blows, in my two years, we have gone through 3 managers, and 4 DM'S... that place is a joke.. thank God I work part time.. cause I can only take that place in small doses... yeeeech.

I don't like the idea of these two stores joining forces either, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Even with EB Games and some Mom & Pop stores out of the picture they are still pretty rinky-dink compared to Walmart.

Plus, keep in mind that the GameCrazy stores (and their parent Hollywood Video stores) just got bought by Movie Gallery. (Thankfully, they held out and wouldn't let Blockbuster buy them, and accepted a smaller offer from the #3 video chain.)

Yeah, looks like Game Crazy is my new place to go. Walmart and Target are good for most games. However, smaller titles frequently are hard to find there. Plus they don't carry used, and only popular items can be pre-ordered. I was so happy Movie Gallery ended up with them instead of Blockbuster.

That sux.. it doesn't necessarily effect me much though. If any of you live in St. Louis area I'm sure you all enjoy the wonder that is Slackers, the absolute best video game/CD/DVD store(s) known to man. I don't go there for new games, they're always prices slightly higher than retail, but there selection of used games/systems/peripherals is unparalleled. They sell everything from Atari to Master System, Intelllevison, NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar, Lynx, Game Gear, Game Boy, GC, Xbox, PS1&2, DC... Everything basically, some of the more obscure stuff isn't always in stock, but if it's related to video games and someone brings it in they'll buy it and sell it. Highly recommended to anyone within 150mi of the St. Louis area(they have 5 or 6stores in the area).

In Minnehsotah, don't miss:

DiscLand on 35w and 98th street south of the cities.

Toyriffic on White Bear Ave. just south of Maplewood mall (it's in an old car service shop) and also on 94 just across the border into Wisconsin.

Hi-Score off 36 on the way to Stillwater in Oak Park Heights.

And in Illinois, Game Exchange just south of Meijer by the UIUC campus. Unfortunately Big Kids seemd to have closed the last time I visited my college :*(

We need to support these last remaining placed that still have retro gaming supplies with all our might. We can never let them die.

Game crazy is nice, since they still have Nintendo and Genesis/Game Gear, And I find occasional Saturn games too. But they won't buy master system or atari or anything like that. And they are also now on my hate list because I found out that they THROW AWAY all the boxes/cases for everything but the newest systems. They used to have a hundred dreamcast games all complete in the cases, and then they just threw them all away so they'd fit better in a drawer. Sure it makes sense from a pure stock logistics sense, but it is pure blaspheny to a true gamer. People wiill hunt down complete games with the box and instructions on E-Bay and pay 10x extra for them. It's just an insult to throw them away like nobody cares.

I don't understand why anyone still gives GameStop business after being a complete sellout to us. It seems most of us hard core gamers can't stand them. But I guess we only account for 1% of their business. The other 99% are the average joes that go out and pay 50$ every week for water game GameSukka magazine was paid 1M$ by Recycled Arts to give a 9.5/10 glowing rating.

Only thing I liked GS and EB for was preordering when there is some cool preorder item. And EB is good for used PC games.

Discland is nice, but lately their selection of good old stuff hasn't been the greatest. They sell some stuff on eBay. The only Toyriffic I've been to is in Hudson; and that one isn't very impressive. I'll have to check that and Hi-Score out some time.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Thu, 2005-06-02 @ 01:49 AM

And they are also now on my hate list because I found out that they THROW AWAY all the boxes/cases for everything but the newest systems. They used to have a hundred dreamcast games all complete in the cases, and then they just threw them all away so they'd fit better in a drawer. Sure it makes sense from a pure stock logistics sense, but it is pure blaspheny to a true gamer. People wiill hunt down complete games with the box and instructions on E-Bay and pay 10x extra for them. It's just an insult to throw them away like nobody cares.

I don't understand why anyone still gives GameStop business after being a complete sellout to us. It seems most of us hard core gamers can't stand them. But I guess we only account for 1% of their business. The other 99% are the average joes that go out and pay 50$ every week for water game GameSukka magazine was paid 1M$ by Recycled Arts to give a 9.5/10 glowing rating.

[post=134818]Quoted post[/post]​

how did you know they throw the boxes away, I am just curious if they told you that?

Yep, they told me. A couple of the game crazy's around me used to have dreamcast and PS1 games on the racks, and most of them had their full cases. And then when we went to take advantage of the 3 for 15$ all retro games sale, I noticed that all the dreamcast and PS1 games were in drawers behind the counter in plain white CD sleeves.

So I asked if they had the boxes, because of course I'm holding out to buy games for when I can find them complete. And they said they threw them all out because they take up too much space.

Another game crazy had saturn games behind the counter which were complete. I noticed later the same games sitting in plain jewel cases. I don't actually have proof, but I have a feeling that they chucked the entire oversized saturn cases, including the instructions, so that they'd fit on the CD racks easier.

I personally liked the big sega CD and saturn boxes. They had personality, and the chance for some nice big artwork. At the least,

Now, the only part that really takes up space is the box itself. But the only part of the box that makes it "the box" is actually the paper insert behind the CD holder (that has the "back of the box" pick and the sidebar title). Now, if they were smart and cared about their gamer costomers, they could have taken that back piece out and saved it with the game, so that when we bought it and took it home, we could use our own jewel case to recreate the full boxed CD item.

I'd heard other people on this board talk of placed that would throw away the genesis boxes, because they took up so much room. I don't know any for sure, but I wouldn't put it against some game crazy's to do it. I think it might have been gamestops. There too, if you do chuck the box to save space, at least take the box picture out from behind the plastic, so that the person can have the cover and back art.

Having the full boxes is important from a shopping point of view. Genesis is the only system where I've actually investigated nearly every single game on-line, and know exactly what I want and what every game is. But for the rest of the systems, I just know a few games, and not the rest. Being able to brows the back of the box is a quick way to see whether a game might be something I want or not. After that, I browse the instructions to get a better picture.

Throwing away the boxes is unforgiveable, and I know they do it at my GameStop, however our EB Games here is a brand new store so the only used stuff they have is Dreamcast and those are still in cases. I don't buy ANYTHING from GamrStop/EB unless it's a sealed copy from behind the counter and only because either a)I want to get a game the day it comes out or b) I desperately need something to play at that moment., at our EB Games they can't even sell you a console that doesn't have a few dings in the box.

I recommend everyone try eBay for their games purchases and stop supporting these worthless stores. And everyone's always saying stuff like: "I can't find Katamari Damacy" or "why doesn't anyone have SMT: Nocturne anymore" when there are sealed copies all over the fucking place on eBay--I just don't get it.

Not that I have a problem with eBay, but some people are uncomfortable with their system. I have never gotten screwed. Also, many on eBay take credit card or paypal only. If all you get is an allowance, you would need to use a parents credit card. However, I am personally done with GS and EB. I'll stick to online retail outlets and small local stores.

Back