email from ebay- this is a scam, right?

I've been getting alot of emails from ebay telling me to update my account info. So far I've been ignoring them. Here's the newest one I got, maybe someone can confirm if it's a known scam or not

Dear valued customer

We regret to inform you that if you did not re-update your account information your eBay account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days and as result it will be terminated.

and we also regret to inform you that if you don't re-update your account you have to register a new one and this will require a new registration fee.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.

We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

please click here and login to your account in order to re-update it .

Regards, Safe harbor Department eBay, Inc

The eBay team.

This is an automatic message. Please do not reply.

That's definately not EBAY. I get crap like that all of the time, from people trying to steal my account. If ever in doubt, go to the EBAY home page, to verify/manage your account. Don't click on the email links, even if you think it's going to ebay.. that's the best way to be safe..

Originally posted by emazur@Thu, 2005-03-03 @ 09:01 PM

I've been getting alot of emails from ebay telling me to update my account info. So far I've been ignoring them. Here's the newest one I got, maybe someone can confirm if it's a known scam or not

Dear valued customer

We regret to inform you that if you did not re-update your account information your eBay account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days and as result it will be terminated.

and we also regret to inform you that if you don't re-update your account you have to register a new one and this will require a new registration fee.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.

We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

please click here and login to your account in order to re-update it .

Regards, Safe harbor Department eBay, Inc

The eBay team.

This is an automatic message. Please do not reply.

[post=130873]Quoted post[/post]​

Another little hint. Check for perfect grammar. Seriousily; a corporation that sends out any automated messages will make sure it is all in proper english. Unlike the letter you received. (sentence beginning with the word and! It's not even capatalized. Along with several other small mistakes.)

Also, Ebay specifically states on their website that :

Originally posted by ebay

eBay will never ask you to provide sign-in passwords, credit card numbers, or other sensitive information through email. If we request information from you, we will always direct you back to the eBay site.

This can be found at http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw...heft-spoof.html

Paypal is the same way. They will never request you to enter their site through any included link for account verification.

me personally, I never go to the site through an email. Even when I know its really them (such as when I just finished an auction), I go directly to their site on my own through my tab list on firefox. I do this just as habit, kind of like using your blinker even when in parking lots, pulling out of my driveway or even when changing lanes at 2AM and no one is on the highway but me. Its just to form habit.

Wow, it's a good thing this thread popped up. My mother JUST clicked the link in one of these emails, filled it out and everything. Is there something she should do?

Yep. Any information she put in that account, i.e. ssn and cc info, cancel or freeze it. Immediately.

What information did they ask for? eBay information?

Basically, I'd suggest going into the account, changing the username and changing the password.

If they asked for credit card info, call the actual bank (On the back of the card) and notify them.

Email addresses - change passwords. It doesn't take much to clone an email address and use your ISP's SMTP, etc.

If you provided SSN information, get your credit report now, and in two weeks, or a month, and dispute any changes that you (or your mother) haven't made.

I've seen credit scores dive by several hundred points for loans they never even signed off on and weren't aware of (the beauty of the internet, eh?)

Change username/password immediately. The link in the email redirects you to a site that looks official, but I presume harvests login info for eBay accounts and gives it to an unknown third party. If credit card details (or anything else sensitive) are stored in that account in plain text, you should cancel that too.

Heh I just logged in with a fake user name and password I made up and it went through. When I took to me to the My Ebay Page it still said I need to update my information :D . This is my first time actually seeing one of these sites. Pretty funny.

Just tried going to that site (figured I'd try what monkeyd said but use f_ckyou_youf_cking_scammers as my username/pass.

But it seems to be gone. Wonder if my report helped kill it, or if its just a temporary downage

Actually, these sites stay up 48 to 72 hours max before changing. If anyone has submitted their bank account or credit card info, you need to call the credit card company and get them to cancel that card, and go to the bank and get another account...

One of my family members got caught up in this one time, sent all of her information to a false ebay site, etc. I found out a bit about the source IP, including the credit card the scammers used to create some of these fake ebay domain names, but the police said they could not even make a report unless the credit card or bank account was actually used, because it's supposedly not illegal to have the information, only if they use it, which is ridiculous...

they have been sending this stupid shit out constantly. I get them once a day at my gmail account. I bet there are thousands in my aol email account... I haven't checked that thing in 2 years.

And yes its not illegal to have this information because this information is actually rather easy to get.

You know someone, well there you have there name.

Get a personal check from them for what ever reason... boom there Bank account info is right there at the bottom.

What else do you need, SS number? Thats not that hard to get from someone. People hand that out constantly to places like banks, DMV, hospital, school, EVERYWHERE. Although with these three bits of info you could rob them of all their money.

I just got an email a couple days ago. I was fooled into it.

I "logged" in, and started to fill out the information. I noticed something fishy on the page.

"Why are they asking for my PIN number?"

That's when I remembered this thread. I immediately hit the back button on my browser.

While I didn't submit my credit card information, by "logging" in, I gave them my password and login.

I have changed my login and password.

Anything else I might need to do?

I get this a lot too in my yahoo email and not the email that I use with ebay which is spam free so it's pretty easy to discard them, they do look legit if you're not paying 100% atention.

Back