europe are better at creating games than the japan

I won't tell you who said this
I'm intrigued; it can't be Whitesnake, because he would have said that UK developers are better than everybody, not that Europe is better than Japan. Right? ;)

I don't agree with the statement per se, but I willl say that European developers generally don't get the recognition that they deserve. How many famous European game designers can you think of? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Peter Molyneux and Jeff Minter.

"Different Strokes for Different Folks"

Japanese games are built within a japanese audience in mind, European games are built with a european influence in mind. I'd say that if you predominatly grew up with one form then you would be biased one way or another.

Each has something different and unique to offer.

But we can all agree American games suck (unless you enjoy FPS shooters).

::ducks::

for the most part....we don't really do anything though and there aren't any great US devs. We do good at sport sims, arcade sports and FPS games. period, end of discussion, that's IT.

Oh ya, and MMO's. We OWN the MMO dept.

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2005-09-29 @ 07:43 PM

I don't agree with the statement per se, but I willl say that European developers generally don't get the recognition that they deserve. How many famous European game designers can you think of? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Peter Molyneux and Jeff Minter.

[post=140052]Quoted post[/post]​

What about Michel Ancel ?

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Fri, 2005-09-30 @ 10:33 AM

Before I can argue with the statement, I have to argue with the grammar.

[post=140099]Quoted post[/post]​

I was thinking the same thing. I have horrible grammar and I even know that is so fucked.

And to stick up for the Americans... Ecco, TJ+E, Earthworm Jim (some of my favorite games) were made here in the USA.

What about Michel Ancel ?

I had to look him up to know who he was; it seems like he's coming up in popularity, though.

And to stick up for the Americans... Ecco, TJ+E, Earthworm Jim (some of my favorite games) were made here in the USA.

Actually, Ecco was developed by Hungarian company Novotrade (now Appaloosa Interactive).

I'm not a particularly big fan of the MYST series, but from an artistic (and arguable gameplay) point of view, they are wonderful, compelling games. And Cyan is from Texas. Back in the day, Roberta Willams and company made create adventure games at Sierra (now AKA VU). Old School Lucasarts games are still some of the best titles around.

Nevertheless, it's kind of short-sighted and primitive to say "one country makes better games than others." I think French games can have some of the most compelling and tasteful visuals of any game, but that doesn't mean they all play well. And the brits can make wonderful, deep games, but not all the time. The games industry in the US is entering a rather nasty phase in growth, so for the time being it's the demagogues ruining our reputation.

I think it's nicer to be aware what makes a game developed in a different country interesting rather than making a comparison. For example, there is a PC FPS being developed in Russia called "You Are Empty". I find this interesting because slav culture is always worried about leading empty lives, and they really think about what is an empty existence. If the company is able to convey such a sentiment, I think it would be a unique game.

Back in the US, Irrational games is working on Bioshock, a semi-sequal to System Shock 2. From what Ken Levine says about the game, it seems to be very a compelling; a story about what bio-engineering, and genetic manipulation means to us in terms of our humanity. Definitely our view of progress and change is something to talk about.

But to talk in comparison, well then why don't we just start arguing who has a bigger dick? Because in that case the Portugese will win....

I'm surprised he hasn't popped his head in yet... He is probably off trying to contract your assasin Kukzz.

Actually if I recall correctly he has been asking me about my friend who was a sniper in the Marines.

Actually Ecco for genesis was made in SLC I believe. I just remember my cousin's friend's dad helped make the game, and put in a special code for him. When enetered it gives a message about saying hi and how he loves his son and stuff. It's jus ta message written to his son and gives a bunch of cool shit for the game. Wish I still had the code, I got it straight from the kid and I have yet to see it ANYWHERE online. Kind of a cool little thing me thinks...

On one hand there is the exceptional mastery in code in games such as Red Zone and Adventures of Batman & Robin.. On the other such as Gunstar Heroes and Contra Hard Corps.

I think from the aspect of coding it pretty much evens out eventhough Europe has had a great demo scene from which many later game coders came.

Having said that I've always liked Japanese games better. Ecco is a notable exception.

Edit: Decided on reply instead.

Originally posted by kessinger@Sun, 2005-10-09 @ 02:09 PM

On one hand there is the exceptional mastery in code in games such as Red Zone and Adventures of Batman & Robin.. On the other such as Gunstar Heroes and Contra Hard Corps.

I think from the aspect of coding it pretty much evens out eventhough Europe has had a great demo scene from which many later game coders came.

Having said that I've always liked Japanese games better. Ecco is a notable exception.

[post=140526]Quoted post[/post]​

I wonder what I was on when I wrote that.

Lets try that again:

"I think from the aspect of coding the Europeans rule supreme largely because of the great demo scene from which many later game coders came."

Check out Adventures of Batman & Robin which does not show any slowdown whatsoever. The effects are much grander than any of the Japanese games praised for their coding. Running on the vertical road attacked by Dead Eye Joe in Contra HC or the obstacle course in Adventures of Batman & Robin. Really, it is no match.

Back