FAO Schwarz Closes Its Doors

mtxblau

Mid Boss
The article states they will re-open in the summer, under new management. They'll be offering high end toys unavailable in other toy stores (re: back to FAO's roots).

----

Trains Come to Halt as Toy Store Locks Doors

January 27, 2004

By SHERRI DAY

They pushed at doors that refused to budge. They peeked through windows to see the fantastic toys and model railroad, but all they could make out were empty shelves

and a cleaning crew. Much to the dismay of scores of tourists, parents and children, the owners of F. A. O. Schwarz locked up their flagship store on Fifth Avenue yesterday, leaving only a neatly typed note taped to the once revolving glass doors.

"F. A. O. Schwarz is closed," the note said. "Thank you for your patronage." The note urged customers to return in the summer, when the upscale toy store is expected to reopen under new ownership.

"How can you come to New York without seeing F. A. O. Schwarz?" asked Sari Sonshine, who had come from Toronto with her daughter Emily, 12, and Emily's friend Gillian Singer. The two girls settled for having their picture taken as they posed on the giant metal bear that sits sentry outside the store entrance.

The closing did not come as a complete surprise. The retailer's parent company, FAO Inc., has suffered a long decline, largely at the hands of discount toy retailers like Wal-Mart and Toys "R" Us. Unable to stir enough interest in its often pricey signature toys, like oversized stuffed animals, collector's dolls and electric trains, the company filed for bankruptcy protection a year ago. It emerged in April, but re-entered bankruptcy protection in December.

Since then, the retailer has liquidated its merchandise, selling everything from baby strollers to Barbie dolls at as much as 95 percent off the original prices. The company also put many of its assets, including the Manhattan store, on the auction block last week. A judge approved the sale, valued at $41 million, yesterday afternoon, clearing the way for a reopening.

But yesterday at the Manhattan store, at Fifth Avenue and 59th Street, shoppers were disappointed that the closing had come so quickly.

"I heard about the whole bankruptcy thing, but I didn't know it was closed," said Yvette Andrews, a data manager from Flatbush, who came in search of rock-bottom prices. She walked away disappointed that she had arrived a day too late.

Sergio Puente's initial reaction to the closing was too explicit to be printed in this newspaper. "Excuse my language," Mr. Puente, an advertising salesman from Bay Ridge, said as he peered into the store. "I thought they were going to save it. It's terrible. I can't believe it."

For others, the pilgrimage to F. A. O. Schwarz was meant to fulfill a rite of passage observed by generations of children.

"We came to see F. A. O. Schwarz before they closed," said Michael Zachariash, an engineer from Los Angeles who brought his 7-year-old granddaughter, Miriam Kamara. "She's never seen it, and I was afraid she'll never see it. If they reopen in the summer, we'll try again."

But even as would-be shoppers walked away expressing shock and disappointment, F. A. O. Schwarz was taking its first steps back to vitality. A judge in the United States

Bankruptcy Court in Delaware approved the sale of the Schwarz stores in New York and Las Vegas to VGACS Acquisition Inc., a unit of D. E. Shaw & Company in New

York, for $41 million. The company, which outbid two competitors, had initially bid $20 million.

Officials at D. E. Shaw said yesterday that they intended to renovate the stores and return their focus to the sale of "distinctive, high-end specialty toys" that cannot be

found at mass retail stores. The stores are expected to reopen in four to six months, the company said, under the F. A. O. Schwarz name.

"We're going to keep some of the landmarks like the bear and the clock," said Max Holmes, a managing director at D. E. Shaw. "The rest of it, we'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be fun." Mr. Holmes said his company also planned to retain other iconic fixtures, like the giant piano keyboard that Tom Hanks danced atop in the 1988 movie "Big."

But for some shoppers outside the Manhattan store yesterday, progress was too slow.

"We were coming here as a reward for good cooperation on Sunday," said Joyce McCormack, as she peeled her 4-year-old son away from the door. "I promised him, and there's disappointment, but that's O.K. We'll just go to Toys "R" Us and look at the dinosaurs."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/27/nyregion...b10e7e48953bca2

sad.... those are some fun stores

Although I think the only thing I own from their stores is my gorilla, Hugo

the same thing is going to happen to toys r us here very soon, which is still sad, but not on the same level as fao schwarz i think.

see the "why walmart is evil" thread for more information.

TRU can rot in hell for all i care. they accused me of stealing $500 from the register when they had the camera on me the whole time (i was the only cashier that day, july 3rd, one of the busiest days of the year for them). brought in the state police, tore apart my car in front of everyone and questioned me and wouldnt let me leave for 3 hours after my shift. had i known what i know now NONE of that would have gone down but when your naieve and in high school you roll with it. they checked the tapes, of course didnt see anything and never apologized. i quit. havnt been in the store since.

whoa. that sucks.

the people at my store are pretty good to me. i just don't get paid enough.

toys r us has some nostalgic value for me and the kids in central indiana who don't have FAO schwarz to go to. i mean, yeah wal-mart and target have toys, but a fucking WHOLE STORE FULL OF TOYS is just insane when you're like 5 and 6.

Originally posted by aaron@Jan 27, 2004 @ 06:42 PM

toys r us has some nostalgic value for me and the kids in central indiana who don't have FAO schwarz to go to. i mean, yeah wal-mart and target have toys, but a fucking WHOLE STORE FULL OF TOYS is just insane when you're like 5 and 6.

That's the ONLY thing TRU has going for it.

But once you grow up and actually have to BUY the toys yourself, you realize the place sucks.

the TRU in my area has a big bin of Dreamcast stuff for like $5.00 and under. They had saturn stuff for next to nothing for a long while. Games were going for around a buck each.

God I hate Toys'r'us. They have a bunch of 4 year old DC games I want for FULL RETAIL PRICE!! I mean come on they are 4 years old and for a dead system, bargain bin that shit already.

I know what you mean. The TRU by me has N64 and DC games for way more than they should.

The only thing I like TRU for, are the exclusive toys they get, things like the G1 transformer re-issues.

Children's Palace was the greatest toy store ever. I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. They had these wonderful full-size castle towers on the front of the store, and inside was endless rows all the way to the ceiling of quality toys.

Then in late elementary school Toys R Us started infiltrating Minnesota. They started by putting up stores nearby all the existing Children's Palaces. An obvious evil ploy. Then they had all those commercials with the catchy tune and those dumb animals. Eventually they drove all the Children's Palaces out of business and then moved into their locations in some instances. I remember when one Toys R Us store still had the old Children's Palace towers in front, but they eventually moved.

So, yeah, I hate Toys B We for causing the death of Children's Palace. But at the same time, the selection of toys at places like Walmat and Target is so dirt poor compared with Toys R Us, I'd hate to see them go. I need to make sure I get all the new Star Wars Lego sets for the sake of kami. But luckilly the LegoLand stores have now lowered their prices to match the retail giants. In fact, the LegoLand kiosks in the smaller malls had 40% *everything* the week after xmas.

Back