Favorite Kubrick movie

Xavier

Mid Boss
I just watched Clockwork Orange again for the third time got alot from it I hadnt before so whats your favorite Kubrick movie? have favorite one I didnt list ? Ill add it ...if I can

First off your missing "Barry Lyndon"

Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, especially with my favorite version of "Lolita"! It was difficult to choose between "Lolita" and "Dr. Strangelove"... Great writer, good director, a master of making the slow moving movie tolerable. (except for 2001, I have NEVER been able to stay awake through that entire movie; which she considered to be the real version because she didn't know that the british version has one extra chapter... also the absence of this chapter is one big reason why Anthony Burgess despises his own book so much... check out the prologue to the most recent release of the book, he banters on how much he wished this book would of been barried, with no help from Kubrick either!). But I went with Dr. Strangelove, Peter Sellers spends more time on camera in that movie; so that adds points!!! I love Peter Sellers (Pink Panther is da bomb diggity). I have this mans complete box set of DVD's which also includes some of his very early stuff back when he was first starting. Not all his early stuff though, but it does have every theatrical released movie. YEY! although I was pissed, I purchased it and didn't watch Lolita right off the bat, ive seen it many times. Well I finally watched it after a year of owning it and to my dismay the disk was faulty and well past the time that I could return it in. I was damn pissed! It gets 3/4 of the way into the movie and then craps out... grrrrrr.

Oh yeah, and "Clockwork Orange" has been bastardized in my opinion. I seriousily can never watch that movie again. See, this is how it goes for me. I was introduced to Kubrick by my mother at the young age of 9 with the movie "A Clockwork Orange", she had me write a report about it and everything. (She is a huge english buff, she made me read lots of books and wanted me to read this one, she then decided on the movie because it followed the American version of the book so well.) I then went on to enjoy more and more of his movies to then find Clockwork becoming this huge fad when I got to highschool many years later. Children would dress up as Alex and quote the most benign quotes from the movie. It started to make me sick, the way people watched and felt this movie for everything it WASN'T meant to be. They gave it this "ultra-violent" look, which the movie was supposed to be mocking. I grew tired of the fans and later couldn't bear to watch the film because it brought up memories of these irritating people. (Its kinda like how stoners totally ruined Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for me... I grew up listening to them and when I reached highschool I again ran into the stoners who obsessed over them and led an extremely disgusting life. Now when I listen to em' I can only think of that awful drug crazed life I once had and get sick to my stomach... damn how drugs ruin so much entertainment for me. Don't get me on what Cocaine has ruined for me!)

I've got to go with Dr Strangelove. I really didn't know quite what to make of it the first time that I saw it...

My runner up would be 2001.

I would pick 2001, but I really like Clockwork Orange ...

I'm not sure that AI should be considered as a Kubrick movie, because Spielberg's interpretation is really far from his ... I read that he wanted to do a film with ultraviolent robot fights (where are they ? :biglaugh )

I'll probably be the only person you'll ever hear say something like this, but Kubrick was a tool. He was an arrogant bastard that frequently perverted european aesthetics for american audiences. Take Eyes Wide Shut, for example. No one in europe took that film seriously, even though the book was written by a German, And Barry Lyndon... oh my, so he used victorian paintings as a storyboard. A pat on the back for him. When Orson Welles died, so did our last chance at having truly great america cinema.

Well boo. He was certainly arrogant, but that's hardly unique amongst film directors. Not sure what the problem is with perverting European aesthetics, either. Oh well. A lot of people didn't really care for Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon, although I enjoyed them. He could have spent his time making more traditional movies if he had wanted to - take a look at Paths of Glory. It's nearly perfect.

Anyway, I had to vote for Dr. Strangelove. It's just one of the best movies ever made.

My all round fav is 2001. But its hard, cause I love: Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Clockwork Orange, Dr Strangelove, and Lolita.

As for AI, the Kubrick parts rock; you can tell what parts Speilberg added.

Awesome director, I've only seen Full Metal Jacket, and A Clockwork Orange, so I'll have to go with A Clockwork Orange.

None of the rental places here have Dr. Strangelove. One of these days I'm going to buy it.

Originally posted by tsumake+Thu, 2005-02-10 @ 11:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tsumake @ Thu, 2005-02-10 @ 11:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll probably be the only person you'll ever hear say something like this, but Kubrick was a tool. He was an arrogant bastard that frequently perverted european aesthetics for american audiences. Take Eyes Wide Shut, for example. No one in europe took that film seriously, even though the book was written by a German, And Barry Lyndon... oh my, so he used victorian paintings as a storyboard. A pat on the back for him. When Orson Welles died, so did our last chance at having truly great america cinema.

[post=129411]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Nah. you'll hear me say it.

<!--QuoteBegin-lordofduct

he wished this book would of been barried, with no help from Kubrick either![/quote]

see! He was an arrogant prick... and was damn good at being that! He brought me some wonderful movies, along with some crap, but eh, perverts are perverts every once in awhile they want to see some scat!

So many good movies...tough call. I voted 2001 'cause I think it was my first exposure to Kubrick. Loved Clockwork, loved Full Metal, Dr Strangelove (top effort by Mr Selles) and The Shining. Eyes Wide Shut was rubbish, not helped by Tom "Wooden" Cruise and I wouldn't call AI a Kubrick film.

Hmm...lot of films on that list I haven't seen/heard of.

Back