fixing a 32x unit

i have a broken 32x unit i'd like to repair if possible.

when i power on the system with a cart in place, nothing happens. if i power on with no cart, the sega cd boots as normal.

i tried running it with the power supply from my working 32x, so i assume the ac adapter isnt the problem.

are there any common problems to the 32x, like the fuse on the sega cd? i'm capable of soldering but dont have any experience in straight repair work.

When you say carts don't work, does that include Genesis carts as well, or just 32X carts?

Most likely, it isn't making a good connection, either at the genesis -to-32x connection, the cart section, or both. i've had several of these 32x systems that just needed majorly cleaned. Clean with alcohol, oil-free ether spray, or electronics tuner spray, and try again.

genesis carts dont work either. i should clarify that when the power is on, i get a black screen from the system rather than nothing at all.

the 32x doesnt appear dirty. i went over the 32x to genesis connectors and they're clean. i dont have any way to clean the cartridge slot, but those connectors appear pretty clean too. any suggestions for cleaning it?

any other suggestions?

Tuner cleaner can be bought at a place like radio shack, and it has a nozzle that is small enough to aim at the small pins. After spraying, just work the 32x system in and out of the genesis connector, and the same with the cart side. Just work a game cart in and out. I had to clean one about 5 times before it started working. Hopefully that's all it is. If it doesn't work, the system might just be dead.

Back