For All Lovers Of Dreamcast |Please Read|

It is very interesting to know that there are new games being released for Dreamcast. :cool:

Sadly they are all japanese releases. :(

I must start my japanese lessons quickly... :thumbs-up:

The homebrew scene is supposed to be getting back up too. strange that the DC is still alive in the country it failed the biggest and isn't officially alive in the land where it succeeded (USA) :huh

Originally posted by SEGAFan 3000DC@Dec 3, 2003 @ 12:09 AM

The homebrew scene is supposed to be getting back up too. strange that the DC is still alive in the country it failed the biggest and isn't officially alive in the land where it succeeded (USA) :huh

really?

I never heard that.

Stats?

umm... not sure to which of my statements your referring too :unsure: but i can answer both anyway :p

check out the DC homebrew site www.dcemulation.com to see whats in store, in addtion, the site dreamcastpetition.com mentioned a new professionally pressed demo disc due early next year availble from liksang.com and also mentioned of some other homebrew stuff like emu updates and such.

as for the DC being a success in the US well, you need to look at sales, and the way things were going on this side of the pond, i can give plenty of examples taken from sega sites such as this, and gaming magaizines. anyway, the Dreamcast prooved much more successful than SEGA anticipated in the US from the start. the DC continued to enjoy very successful sales and easily passed up the N64 and catching up very fast to the sales pace of the PSOne. when things slowed down with the coming of the PS2, things changed on PS2's launch, there were more DC's sold on PS2's launch, than PS2's. Why?... because of the short supply of PS2's people looked at the DC, saw it had equally impressive graphics, and for the price of a PS2 they can get a DC, a few games, and/or controllers, and SegaNet! Electronic Arts was so dissapointed with their sales on the PS2 they nearly jumped on the DC bandwagon, but during early negotiations SEGA Japan pulled the plug. The reason for the fall of the DC was neither japan nor Europe could hold the weight of the resources that SEGA was using to keep the DC alive, SEGA of America was doing great and taking in a good sum of money, so christmas 2000 SEGA Japan said there must be (#) this many DC's sold this Christmas or we pull the plug, SEGA of America was not in a good postion at that time because the US economy had just gotten into a financial slump and would hurt everyones christmas sales, and SOA fell short a few DC's to keep it alive.

DC was a flop in japan from the start, they should of delayed the system so the people could have their Sonic Adventure, and enough DC's to go around, because of the shortage, many got mad at SEGA and decided to wait for the PS2.

I have no idea how things went in Europe.

I'm not so sure on the stats in Japan and Europe, but when the DC was launched it was the absolute biggest launch of any system in history, and it still is today. On 9/9/99 SEGA sold $96million worth of dreamcast stuff, no company has yet to match that number in single day sales.

Yes in the US the dreamcast kicked ass on the first day sales (a record still held today). In Japan the big driving force to it's low sales was sonys announcement that the PS2 would play DVD movies. Since DVD players at the time over there cost twice as much or more as the PS2. People waited for it solely to be able to watch movies (which explained the horribly low sales of games for the first months of the PS2's life). In Europe the DC did alright. It never reached the levels of genesis sadly but people did like it. Basically europe was a couple years behind the rest of the world and people were still getting used to the saturn over there. The DC basically came too early.

Originally posted by REDFLELD@Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

Hate this topic.. reminds me we'll never see a new SEGA machine forever! What? Mc Donalds? :rant

Aww, poor you. Does the gravedigger need a hug?

Basically europe was a couple years behind the rest of the world and people were still getting used to the saturn over there

lol, thats not true! :lol: We just have unfourtuantly an over population of sony zombies here :damn:

Back