Game Storage?

VertigoXX

Mid Boss
I've once again found myself with some spare time on my hands, so I've decided to get back to cleaning up all my stuff. It's hard to describe exactly what sort of person I am: I'm not a collector, because I don't insist upon mint condition for everything. I can't really be a hardcore gamer anymore, because I never have time to play all the games I buy. I suppose the best way to describe me is just a packrat.

So here I am, trying to figure out how to store 2500+ CD's, 1800+ movies, and 1200+ video games. (No, I don't have a list yet. That's one of the reasons I want to get everything sorted.) I've got several bookshelves (all full and doubled) and several sets of industrial shelving in the basement (all covered, both sides), as well as two banquet-sized folding tables and two pool tables (one full size, the other a smaller bumper-pool table), all covered. Not to mention two dressers full of my NES, SNES, Atari, and Genesis cartridges. Now I've reached a point where the collection has gotten so large, I'm stacking DVD's up the wall from the floor in the living room. I know there's other people on here with the same packrat tendancies (though maybe only for games or only movies or only music, etc.). How do y'all store your stuff? I need ideas here, folks!

And, no, I'm not throwing away all the cases and using those 256 disc books. I might not be a fanatical collector who insists upon mint condition stuff, but if I have the original art, I like to keep it.

If there is a better way to do it than with shelving, I haven't thought of it. I have a 4-shelve bookcase that holds 50-60 dvd cases per shelve, and then I pile the console boxes on top of it. You can also get one of those plastic things with drawers in it, like this for loose accessories:

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=s...8&node=14034461

But that's all I can think of really. Try IKEA for some ever so trendy solutions to modern living. I've seen some gigantic shelving units there.

I store my stuff in CD racks, Dresser drawers, rubbermaids, cardboard boxes, trunks, and bookshelves, but a lot of that is going to change, as I am in the process of converting one of the old rooms into a media room/library, for all of my books, movies, games, CD and LPs, etc.

(I use those floor rubbermaid tower things for accessories they work great. I also have a big one in my bedroom with the old system inside it.)

Back on topic; really shelved seem to be the best. I have multiple shelving units for my cd/dvd/and disc based games. My old stuff I keep in rubbermaid bins in my room. However, I have toyed with the idea of storing my stuff in those 250 disc sleeves. Thats how all of my PC stuff is. The problem I then run into is where to keep the cases. I refuse to through them out; however I don't need them daily. If I had a house with an attic, i probably through them up there in bins. But I would need a house for that.

I have very limited space kinda in my house if you figure the fact I have 2 roommates and several friends who hang out constantly... nevermind the common parties that occur all the time.

In fear of things getting damaged I have to keep stuff out of peoples way (and my fav or treasured stuff out of freakin' site so no one attempts to play or treat them like garbage).

SO:

I first decide what I NEVER play... don't care if its on display and just basically useless pack rat games and CDs. They get boxed up and tossed in my loft. When I get knew games or CDs they are ripped immediately and placed in these boxes. This is where my N64 stuff is, Sega CD games, VIS system and games all are amongst other things.

Then I have caseless junk, this goes into those huge 250 CD cases from Walmart for the mere 15 bucks they cost each... (don't know anymore, I bought a ton years back because of the great price) This goes into drawers or under my desk.

Then I have to bookshelves that I cover with everything else. The stuff I like on display or gets played a LOT... (well did, I don't game no more sadly... but I don't have the energy to box this stuff up. I need to find the energy because I want to sell it all)

So that is how I keep everything to a minimum. It mostly consists of backing stuff up and burning them so that I can shove them all into CD cases and boxing up the originals.

Oh... and I love the new avatar Vertigoxx

I have a big bookcase that hosts a good part of my game collection, but I'm running out of room in it. Easy to do when you have big things like MVS games in shock boxes and complete US Saturn games. I keep loose accessories in one of those rubbermaid shelf things and also in a couple of milk crates.

wow, didn't think there was anyone else out there who was worse than me at hording stuff. I havn't got so many games though, mostly dance music CDs. About 3000 in all. I think the best idea to organise stuff like that when you are limited on room is to get a whole heaps of cardboard boxes whach are simular size like those archive boxes or I have found that photocopy paper boxes are particularly good for CDs. What you need to do is sort all of your things in some way and label the box apropriately. All my CDs are in alphabetical order so I usually would have a box for CDs which start with each letter. Other than that you could just number the boxes and keep some kind of index on your computer so you can look any game up and see which box it is kept in. This idea is good for stuff you don't really need to have on display. But shelves are better for people who like showing their stuff off.

Back