LinCity

PocketCity

Lemmings clone:

Pingus

Other:

Miss Driller

Krystal Drop

Aleph One (Marathon Trilogie) 3D FPS, 3 parts, said to be very good

There is also FreeCNC (Command & Conquer).

CNC: Tiberian Dawn is supported but Red Alert still got bugs. Maybe later this will be interesting to play other version of CNC, because the Saturn got only one of them.

What games do you think of?

For me it would be a dream to have a cool 3D racing game, 3D tank battle or something.

As for emus, I would like to play Need For Speed Porsche, NFS Underground 1 & 2 and Sonic Advance 1-3 and ChuChu Rocket on my Saturn via GBA emu. Sure this will stay a dream :rolleyes: .

More realistic would be an Atari Lynx emu or NeoGeo Pocket.

Games & emus worth porting

Red Alert would be kickass to play on the Saturn, but I doubt the Saturn could handle it, its a lot bigger then Tiberian Dawn.

Though if possible, Tiberian Dawn using hi-res mode would be awesome.

A Genesis emu would be awesome, but I really doubt the Saturn can handle it. A full speed SMS emu shouldn't be unreasonable though...VBT is that project still alive?

Well a genesis emu might be possible if you could find away to use the sound chip (i think) thats the same series as the genesis cpu to emulate it through hardware. Like the genesis did to emulate the master system.

that, and the Saturn has powerful 2D gfx to work with, infact the VDPs might be similar too. It would be a helluva job to even write an emu, yet alone make it to use the Saturns hardware on that level.

Using the SCSP 68000 would probably be more trouble than not using it. If it had an MMU the story might be different, but as it is a recompiler with lots of timing hacks would probably be the way to go.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 02:38 AM

They're still fighting to get a good genesis emulator on the DC.

[post=126485]Quoted post[/post]​

I think the key is to use dynamic recompilation.

Personally I'm very faszinated by the idea of static translation,

e.g. recompiling the binary for Saturns SH2 CPU and

adapting it to the new hardware (sound and graphic).

The last days I thought about having a racing game engine

for Saturn for which one could convert NFS tracks and cars.

Playing NFS2,3,4,5 on Saturn would really be cool! :yum

They're still fighting to get a good genesis emulator on the DC.

They're fighting a different battle. We're not talking about a Genesis Plus port here.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sun, 2004-12-26 @ 12:48 PM

They're fighting a different battle. We're not talking about a Genesis Plus port here.

[post=126511]Quoted post[/post]​

I already knew that, and you probably know that I knew that. You'll note I never said not to do it, or that it would be impossible. I was just making a comment. If someone can put together a playable Genesis emulator on Saturn with sound, before GP/DC sees an essentially "done" release, I've got $20 with your name on it.

Really, I think that BA or whoever else wants to work from the Genesis Plus source would be able to revert to the software renderer if they replaced the Z80 core. Fox's 68k core is plenty fast, and he's working out the bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it would be easy, just that I don't think the issues the Dreamcast effort is running into are especially relevant for what would have to be done on Saturn. The big difference I see is that with the Dreamcast efforts, they're starting with a quite accurate source base and modifying it for performance. On Saturn this would probably result in disaster. A Genesis emu for Saturn would likely have to be coded from scratch in a Saturn-specific way, and would almost certainly run into lots of interesting compatibility/accuracy issues as a result, some of which may be impossible to resolve without taking a lower-performance approach.

Well he has compatibility problems with his DC-specific renderer anyway, which is why I think he should revert to the original GP renderer if he gets the cycles. Although for some other systems I think using a hardware accelerator would be easier. Do you think it would be feasible to accelerate rendering with the Sat VDPs (for Genesis or perhaps older consoles, TG16 springs to mind)?

I can't recall enough of the details off the top of my head to be sure, and I haven't done much with VDP1/2 bitbanging, so I can't say I'm exactly eminently qualified to answer the question. That being said, I would expect that backgrounds could probably be reasonably accelerated by VDP2 (though window effects could prove tricky), but accurate sprites with VDP1 seems like a dodgy proposition at best. Raster effects (especially mid-sprite palette changes e.g. for "underwater" effects) would be a real killer, as would accurate per-line limiting.

Guess what this is? [attachmentid=951]

The first one who got the answer will be first to play the beta, when it's done :smash .

BTW: happy new year :banana

Attachments

• SaturnApp.png
    SaturnApp.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 283
  • SaturnApp.png
    SaturnApp.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 271
  • SaturnApp.png
    SaturnApp.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 267
  • SaturnApp.png
    SaturnApp.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 270
  • SaturnApp.png
    SaturnApp.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 262

Slinga: still too imprecise

vbt: good try, but no hit

So here some hint:

The cartridges are bigger than usual GB carts, I think. Makes me even think about using the extern RAM cart on Saturn...

Anyways, here's another competition:

Wo gets this first, will get a wish for free :D

[attachmentid=960][attachmentid=961]

[attachmentid=962][attachmentid=963]

Attachments

• SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 162
  • SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 149
  • SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 162
  • SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 157
  • SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 166
  • SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 151
  • SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 164
  • SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 163
  • SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 153
  • SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 150
  • SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    SaturnApp2_3.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 151
  • SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 148
  • SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 151
  • SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 170
  • SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 182
  • SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 166
  • SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    SaturnApp2_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 160
  • SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 173
  • SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    SaturnApp2_2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 155
  • SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    SaturnApp2_4.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 148

The "Windows" Window seems to be a Satourne v1.x Window. So what we see might be a double-emulation process. Such a neogeo pocket emulator for Saturn emulated itself in Satourne. Am I right ?

Djidjo

Back