Games run choppy

Gallstaff

Established Member
My system is up to par on the games I try to run, but for some reason, when I play UT (just normal not 03 or 04) or counter-strike, i get a little bit of choppiness for no reason. I'm not lagging and these games are about 5 years old so I should be able to run them fine. However, I can run doom 3 fine and postal 2 runs great also.

Whats up?

Could be some background process stuffing things up - either something legitimate like a firewall or some spyware. Try turning Vsync on - I suppose the choppiness could be caused by fluctuating frame rates.

im pretty sure CS has issues with some of the newer cards (mostly the ati ones i believe), not sure about UT.

You've got a Radeon? You might want to try different driver revisions, they just officially released 4.8, but you might have to downgrade or else do as it290 says and see how it likes a different renderer. I know for a fact that the HL engine in its current form (Post-Steam era) has serious issues with some Radeon cards. I don't know if its a driver issue, an architecture issue, or the game itself. More likely some nasty combination. I've seen a Radeon 9800 standard get creamed by my Geforce 3 while playing Natural Selection, one of the more advanced HL mods. After playing around with his machine for a while, I've managed to keep it from dipping into the 20s, with the help of a BIOS update and Omega drivers.

Thanks guys I will try all that.

What do you mean different rednering modes in UT? It was running D3D but I changed it to software rendering and that helped a little, but it looks like complete ass.

That's all its got in the way of rendering. Is there any way I can add open gl support or something like a third party renderer or... something?

Look for the Loki OpenGL renderer. Loki games did it for the Linux port of UT and there was also a Windows version released.. I'm not sure where you can find it at this point- fileplanet probably has it though. Not sure it'll help but it's worth a shot.

I find it that with CS on my radeon it works better with the D3D driver and not the Open GL driver. Also make sure you turn off vsync, at the frame rates this game runs at on my card vsync was actually making the game stutter more than it helped.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Aug 29, 2004 @ 08:53 PM

I find it that with CS on my radeon it works better with the D3D driver and not the Open GL driver. Also make sure you turn off vsync, at the frame rates this game runs at on my card vsync was actually making the game stutter more than it helped.

The way some games handle vsync ends up choking you if your framerate is weak to begin with. I still can't believe all the issues people are having with Steam HL. My GF3 should not be whooping these cards. Using D3D might help, although they claim to have improved the efficiency of their drivers with Cat 4.8 so that may not be necessary. Also, I've been told that some systems have conflicts with their sound card or other erratic behavior when using D3D for HL games, but it's worth a shot. My friend still has some slowdown with Aztec to this day.

Back