Genesis-related question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but it seemed the most appropriate. I bought a copy of Landstalker and the save function doesn't work. I was wondering if the game uses battery-backed RAM and if it does, is it possible to replace the battery (because it would likely be dead by now)? Also, does anyone know how to get those screws undone without a special screwdriver? Thanks in advance.

Take a plastic ballpoint pen and remove the innards. Heat up the tip with a lighter and jam it onto the screw. Let it cool for a while and you have an insta-security bit. It won't last for too long, but you can always go to a bank or post office and grab their pens.

Hey it worked :) and it also turns out the battery wasn't dead, just disconnected. I guess maybe it came loose somehow. Anyway, I have it held down with some electrical tape at the moment just to try it out... one question though. The battery is old enough I should probably replace it anyway. It looks like a standard CR2032 battery, could I just replace it with one of the same type, or is it special in some way?

Yup, that's exactly what it is. Go ahead and replace it with that battery from Wal-Mart or whatever.

Generally the ones in carts have solder tabs on them, and the ones you get from the store don't. You'll have to find some way to get it attached (preferably one that doesn't involve soldering to the battery).

Well, it was messy but I just potted the whole battery and it's connectors in epoxy. Not the optimal solution but that should hold it (permanently!). It works fine, but that battery will never be changed again. Good thing you don't have to do it often. Thanks guys.

Back