GENTLEMEN, behold! GeneSNES.

I have made Sega from whence there was no Sega before.

About 6 years ago, I found an abandoned SNES. By sheer luck, I've

managed not to lose it in my many moves over the years. I finally

got my security bits and a shitload of paint. Cleaning the fucker has

been a nightmare all its own.

What else shall I do but remodel the SNES to be more like its hated foe?

Disassembled and cleaned.

genesnes01.jpg

Shell piled together with the original.

genesnes03.jpg

Not the first time I had to put it back together, then take it apart again.

genesnes04.jpg

At last it is done.

genesnes07.jpg

Supreme victory.

genesnes10.jpg

Long story short, it was a project of a thousand screwups and setbacks. Hand painting the nameplate was a nightmare with my shaky hands. Time elapsed was about a month, thanks to having to wait a week between each part/paint/equipment/tool trip. The abomination is ready. To make it a legit mod, I removed the cart lock. Whee, now I can... uh... eject first year games without shutting the power off.

Too bad I can't find the power plug!

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 01:22 AM

Nice one, dude. May I suggest the addition of 'high definition graphics'?

[post=141441]Quoted post[/post]​

I second that. :D

Thanks muchly. If I would have added anything else, it would have been the gold 16 BIT that's on the Mega Drive, but I couldn't think of anywhere to put it that would be appropriate. The eject button would have been great, if it weren't an eject button! I can't count on the clearcoat and paint holding up to repeated pokey trauma, so I wasn't about to put lettering there. The bevel on the top of the system makes it kinda retarded to put anything behind the cart slot, since it's angled backwards. The back shelf... I wouldn't put anything there but vents and fans, not that overclocking the system would be productive.

Changing the LED would have been stupid, because duh, red. Would it be Sega with a blue power LED? No. Cut vents in it? Also stupid, the board never gets that hot. Put a window in it? WHERE? The back shelf covers heatsinks and RF shielding, not pretty circuitry. Never mind So that cuts out most "modding" techniques. No Hz switch because hello, I don't have any PAL displays lying around. And since I don't have mommy and daddy money, redesigning and molding a more Sega-style shell was out of the question. It would have cost about two hundred dollars for all the equipment and material just to make the rough form of the top half.

Originally posted by Quick Man@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 09:43 AM

Wow. Congrats. You painted a SNES.

[post=141443]Quoted post[/post]​

Hahaha, fuck you. Let's see you paint the Genesis font by hand without help from a stencil.

wouldn't it have been cooler if you would have modded a snes case to play genesis games? i mean...all you did was paint it...it's neat and all, but i've seen it a million times...

Originally posted by Raijin Z@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 02:27 PM

Hahaha, fuck you. Let's see you paint the Genesis font by hand without help from a stencil.

[post=141453]Quoted post[/post]​

No thanks, I have more useful and productive things to do with my time, like actually modding my Saturn so it does stuff it couldn't before.

Stand back everybody, internet cool dude.

I feel honored that you spend your apparently priceless time typing like a retard for my sake.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 06:01 PM

wouldn't it have been cooler if you would have modded a snes case to play genesis games? i mean...all you did was paint it...it's neat and all, but i've seen it a million times...

[post=141455]Quoted post[/post]​

1: The Genesis 2's mainboard is wider than the inside of the SNES case.

2: If I came here to point out everything I've seen before, I might post more then eight times a year.

All in all, not a bad way to deal with the "did someone sneak into my closet and poop on my SNES case?" phenomenon. My only minor gripe is that it seems like the power/reset switches should be a darker color.

I appreciate where SkankinMonkey is coming from, although I think it would have taken about 10 times as much time/money/effort to do something "really cool" (e.g. make a whole new Genesis-style case out of casting resin).

Originally posted by Raijin Z

The Genesis 2's mainboard is wider than the inside of the SNES case.
There are some new "TV game" Genesis systems using Genesis-on-a-chip type logic that can be wired to a cart slot (they retail for $25 or so). It would be a lot of work, but it would fit... I'm not sure how you would mount it though.

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 05:12 AM

Wouldn't the Gen 3 fit? I don't believe the SNES is thinner than the 'ol hockey puck.

[post=141538]Quoted post[/post]​

That's what I was thinking. Now if one could get a hold of a Gen3...

Or mod it with a JVC x'eye and sell it on ebay as the never released CD-Rom attachment for the SNES that Sony pulled out of... :D

Originally posted by Raijin Z@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 08:14 PM

Stand back everybody, internet cool dude.

I feel honored that you spend your apparently priceless time typing like a retard for my sake.

All that to disguise the fact you couldn't actually show a logical inconsistency in my argument, that painting your SNES doesn't really warrant the level of armwaving that you've given it (seeing as I saw it on 4chan before it appeared here).

If you're trying to put forth a "logical argument" about painting an SNES to look like a Genesis in the first place, you already lost the debate.

Like the last 2 threads I have seen on here have had little gamefaqs style bashings going on. If you don't like it, ya don't liek it. No need to get on his ass about it.

I do also think a genesis 3 would be sick as shit in it :). Goodluck modding the controller inputs and such. Would be HELLA lots of work, but oh-so worth it, hehe.

I've never seen a Genny3 outside of the internet. I saw one of those Genesis on a chip deals (you know, blue Genesis pad, a pile of games, and a fake tiny Genesis 2 housing the chip) at a yardsale for $8, but I didn't want to buy it just for the purpose of wasting an otherwise functional SNES... But what the hell. If I see any more, I'll put serious thought toward doing what the internet wants.

Currently the Genesnes is wrapped up in drama. Let a female friend borrow it, she had a falling out with her BF, and moved out of his house. Egh.

Back