GTA san andreas

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
i was just glancing around, and IGN gave GTA:SA a 9.9, and gamespot gave it a 9.6. I was never a huge fan of the other two 3d GTA games, but they are throwing around superlatives like "best game on the PS2." Not that i put too much trust in IGN, but is there really that much that is better about this one than the others?

:agree I agree with you, Supergrom. Never really liked the games, they are interesting but not the best game on ps2. We all know there are better.

Yeah GTA is way overrated. The only good one was the origional on PC. I hate all the others. I think a big reason people buy it is cuz of marketing.

I did like the GTA games although my favorite part of the 3D GTA games is the comedy radio stations and DJ's.

The causing random destruction part of it that so many people like about it gets old after about 10 minutes for me.

The causing random destruction part of it that so many people like about it gets old after about 10 minutes for me

Same here.

When I play GTAIII and Vice City, I usually just drive around and listen to the music.

Although I do enjoy whipping out the magnum from time to time.

Oh and drive by shootings while driving...

:devil

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Tue, 2004-10-26 @ 10:22 PM

Same here.

When I play GTAIII and Vice City, I usually just drive around and listen to the music.

Yeah I do that a lot as well. I do like finding some of the insane jumps dotted around the city and I like some of the more different missions like the Love Fist one in GTA:VC which was basically a rip off of Speed. And the one were your character is drunk.

The rave reviews aren't too surprising. This is the type of game that is popular right now. Everyone loves it. Everyone except small niches of gamers, and parent groups, of course. And yes, I'm in that small niche.

I'm sure in ten years, after hundreds of GTA clones, people will look back at these games and wonder how they once got so popular.

yeah I've never been attracted by the series.

I was mildly interested in the first PC one, but that was about it.

III and Vice City are enough for me for now. I'll most likely get SA a year from now or something.

*Begin ramble*

MGS3 coming out 11/15!

Echoes coming out 11/17!

Which to get?!

Considering I have yet to beat Prime, I'll probably get MGS3, then Echoes.

Kinda sad how as hardcore of a Metroid nut as I am, I still haven't beaten Prime...

*End ramble*

Hmmm... I liked GTA 3 and Vice City more than the average 3D game. Whenever they get around to porting SanA to Xbox, I'll probably get it (used, for less than $15.). Definitely not the BEST game on PS2 though, but I'll grant them it could be in the top ten.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Tue, 2004-10-26 @ 10:34 PM

Considering I have yet to beat Prime, I'll probably get MGS3, then Echoes.

Kinda sad how as hardcore of a Metroid nut as I am, I still haven't beaten Prime...

*End ramble*

[post=121771]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh yeah, I stopped playing Metroid Prime at the final boss for no reason at all! I should really finish it....

I've said it before so I won't make a long post; the 3D GTA games are average games at best, and are not worthy of half of the praise they get.

I think the engine would do VERY nicely if you replaced EVERYBODY in the maps with shambling zombies and allowed four to eight characters to connect online and mow down zombies all day! :thumbs-up:

Damn that would be entertaining, oooh and what if once you've had zombie inflicted damage you became a zombie yourself and tried to take a bite out of the other characters (or hit the proverbial sucide button and respawn).

~Krelian

IGN surely have been payed for this mark ! gta sa is sure a great game but the concept is the same as in gta 3 & vice city ! if i was really critic i'd say vice city and san andreas are gta 3's add-ons.

I played through Vice CIty, got to the end and never beat it. Didn't want to either, I found it boring and hard at times. The game just relies on its shock and novelty value to do well. After all theres no such thing as bad publicity.

More importantly, the game exemplifies everything that I think is wrong with the industry now. THeir trying so hard to appeal to the mainstream and attract older, mature gamers that they've left behind those who really enjoy games. I find it interestin that everyone who has replied here does not enjoy GTA, especially given that we all consider our selves hardcore, old school gamers who watched the industry grow up.

On an related and sad note, I walked into ebay the other day and asked for a turn based RPG? He's like, "Who plays turn based games anymore? Get with it man." Damn, whats wrong with this industry?

Originally posted by crystalmethod@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 12:12 AM

More importantly, the game exemplifies everything that I think is wrong with the industry now.

[post=122103]Quoted post[/post]​

C'mon, be gentle. What has GTA done to deserve such loathing. Been a popular/ successfull game? Or because it had lots of help from advertising and hype? I try and go at my own pace, ignoring what the masses are saying and explore games for myself in due time - leaving little to no effect that the hype/ bias of the popularity for the game drew. But I wouldn't say that's a good reason why a game is bad/ or is an example of why the industry is crap now, or whatever your saying there...perhaps I interpreted it wrong, so sorry, but I know a lot of people who are like what I described there..

THeir trying so hard to appeal to the mainstream and attract older, mature gamers that they've left behind those who really enjoy games.

True, but I believe that in this day and age, the market is dominated by kids to mid-teens.

especially given that we all consider our selves hardcore, old school gamers who watched the industry grow up.

The difference between people that say they are old school gamers, and old school gamers themselves, is that old-school gamers still play old games on a regular basis - they play them more than they play today's games. Most of the people I've heard who consider themselves to be old-school gamers seem to play more "new-school" games. Just something to think about...

On an related and sad note, I walked into ebay the other day and asked for a turn based RPG? He's like, "Who plays turn based games anymore? Get with it man." Damn, whats wrong with this industry?

Give him an e-punch in the face from me. :devil

Some of these high review score are because its now cool to like GTA. If you rated it too low for the fanboys reading the review they would stop reading you magazine\website.

The most revolutionary GTA game was GTA3 and that got the worst review scores. It only got recognition from some reviewers when they realised how popular the game had become.

Its very popular with non gamers, GTA3 was the first game my brother had ever enjoyed since we had a Mega Drive.

Okay, that's just sad. Not so much because the guy is being a genre bigot - lots of people do that - but because he lets it get in the way of his job. I'd think the guy would have at least heard of Nippon Ichi by now, but maybe that's asking too much in this day and age.

I enjoyed GTA 3 for what it was. It was so impressive when compared with GTA2. However, Vice City and San Andreas are the same game. Just slight tweaks. Hell, on PC they could probably achieved this through the use of expansion packs. And the last study I read indicated the average age of a console game was 20 something. However, same study, when asked what their last system was, most answered SNES/Genesis. They played games when young, then quite until they became popular and exceptable for "older" people.

All I meant is that people that watched the industry grow up, I've noticed, are becoming increasingly let out by the cool games that are, just not always that fun.

Case in point...Fable. I bought the hype by the same moronic EB clerk, bought the game, beat it and couldn't believe how decidedly average and not that special the game was. And I don't even wanna get started on Doom and Halo 2 and half life or whatever it is. The hype is ridiculous, and furthermore, whats FPS doing on consoles anyway?

And going on a bit of at tangent, its these big North American studios that are pumping out so much crap. Why is any game that we as older gamers prefer still coming out of Japan? (MGS for example)?

I've been so disappointed with the XBOX and its American games and overhyped that crap that I just hooked by DC and CDX back up. At least then I'll play something of higher quality.

Originally posted by schi0249+Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(schi0249 @ Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I enjoyed GTA 3 for what it was. It was so impressive when compared with GTA2. However, Vice City and San Andreas are the same game. Just slight tweaks.

[post=122162]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

I think you expect too much. 2 points:

1.) If a game is good 5 years ago, it is still good 5 years later. Why? It's still the same game!

2.) If a games' sequels don't differ much from a well-designed/ fun predessessor, then it should be no less fun than the predessessor. Why? Because everything you liked about the predessessor is apparant in the sequel, along with an entirely new environment, and in many cases, new enemies. Win win!

If you disagree with this, then perhaps you dislike the fact that nothing changed between each Metal Slug (well, 5 did introduce a stupid slide..), and KoF is still basically the same game now, to what it was. Also, if you disagree, I guess you like the way the Crash Bandicoot series (after 2) was f**ked over with stupid "enhancements" such as turning most of the game into vehicle-based levels, and also the introduction of the crappy cannon. And perhaps you liked Munch's Oddysee, simply because it ditched the 2D for the 3D, so it could 'look' better.

Oh, and if your going to compare GTA2 with GTA3, at least be fair with the comparison and compare the mission's/ objectives with eachother.

<!--QuoteBegin-crystalmethod
@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 08:33 PM

..and furthermore, whats FPS doing on consoles anyway?

[post=122193]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Exactly. The main thing is that you play the game with a mouse and keyboard, and that's why you'd play them on the PC. Console games used to in a different league than PC games, but now nearly whatever comes out on PC, comes out on console aswell. Now why would I want to play a game that was made for PC, on an (underpowered) console which I would have to buy a mouse and keyboard for to play properly. For those who remember, I think I have previously talked about this, cause I really couldn't understand why people on the boards chose to play the PC games on their console rather than the PC. I guess you could say that if you played them on the console, you wouldn't have to upgrade your system everytime a new game came out (you know what I mean)..

Back