Gunstar Heroes

According to this page there was a SMS version of Gunstar Heroes released in Brazil.

Gunstar Heroes

Has anyone heard of it before, got the game, got the rom? (I'm not requesting, just wondering to make sure it exists or not) I thought I had every SMS-game released but probably not then. If it's true that is.

Many Brazilian released games are just a namechange of an already well known game released in the rest of the world, with other sprites at best. Like the Sonic Boy games; wich I'm not sure if their hacks, or acctually released in Brazil though.

It doesnt suprise me the master system was hugely popular in brazil they are on the Master system 3 there. Tectoy the distributor did ports of Duke Nukem 3D and many other games, there were also a quite a number of sonic games there rigt sonic boy etc.

I think it was a fake, because *all* information regaring the SMS version comes from that single Ebay auction. I couldn't find anything prior to that auction, and seriously, if Tectoy had ported the gameGear version to the SMS, I would've heard of it, since I AM a Brazillian.

Also, I highly doubt such port because the Gamegear version pushes the hardware to the limit, and thus it only renders to the GG viewport. If you run the game in FreezeSMS, that allows you to run GG games with the full SMS resolution, you'll see that the game displays only garbage outside the visible area. Tectoy would need to overcome that and make the game render tiles and sprites in that area too, since the screenshots in the box shown in the Ebay auction showed the game running fullscreen.

It's much better to try hunting down the Tectoy version of Yu Yu Hakusho for the Genesis. It might well end up being cheaper than the Japanese version.

Back