Guys.. I need help..

Man.. when it rains it pours. I am the proud owner of THREE "puked-out" Sega CD units (actually one's an X'eye). The first one I've had for years. The other two I just got off eBay in the last few weeks. I just wrote a letter off to Sega-Parts to see if they are "repairable"; but unfortunately.. I just lost my job around Xmas (I'm told it's "temporay".. about 8 weeks.. we'll see.) and I'm afraid I spent the last of my "mad money" on the X'eye.

I'm hoping someone has had these problems before (each one is different.. two probably mechanical and the other electrical) and can tell me how to fix them or offer tips.. or encouragement.. or "sympathy" <sobs>. I'm "jonesin'" for some Sega CD action.

Rather than write a lengthy diatribe again.. I'll just try and cut & paste the relevant parts out of my letter to them. I'm a lazy SOB.

My original Genesis I/Sega CD I combo unit; although a little worn cosmetically.. recently started simply spitting CDs (game or audio) right back out as soon as the CD tray goes in. The green access light blinks continuously as well.

My second combo unit plays carts and their midi music just fine through the Genesis; and a Sega CD game or audio CD also seems to go through the "motions" of playing (Sega CD games come up; load and play fine.. audio CDs spin and play [i.e. switch tracks] but there is no CD [i.e. WAV] audio playing off the disc. If the game has midi or Genesis generated noises.. they're fine.. but there's no redbook audio [music or voices]). It IS cabled right.. so I know it's just not hooked up wrong.. unfortunately. Cosmetically.. these two units are much cleaner than my old one.

.. And today.. I recieved a JVC X'eye that was also advertised as being fully functional.. but it's not. It plays carts and cart-audio just fine. Upon starting it up.. the JVC splash screen comes up and says "Put a Disc on the turn table". It doesn't matter whether a game CD is inserted at that point.. or even before you start it.. it does nothing and that message just stays. If you press the start button on the controller (like on a Sega CD unit) it DOES switch to the CD player GUI.. but the little "hand" cursor afterwards just stays on the "Option" button (The one that lets you access onboard memory) and won't go to any of the player fuction buttons (I.E> Play/Pause/Stop etc.). There is also a message at the top of that screen that says that the door is open.. whether it is; or closed. The green access light continually flashes as well on it. It seems like the same problem as the first unit.. but it obviously can't spit the CDs back out. Audio CDs produce the same results. It's hard for me to tell if the CDs are spinning as there is no window or way to see the CD after the lid is closed. Looking at it just now.. I hear no noise coming from the CD drive; nor do I see it "spin down" after the lid is opened.. so I'd venture to say that this one isn't even spinning up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Someone's gonna' say "Just send 'em back". But the 2nd Genny/CD combo was advertised as such and I was just hoping the guy didn't know how to cable it right.. but it IS broke.. so there's no recourse there; and I only paid $13 for them.

The X'eye was supposedly advertised as being in "great condition" (and it is.. cosmetically.. like new) and I paid $41 for it.. so I'd just as soon keep it and fix it.

Thanks to all for your time and attention.. again.

BTW-All units have the original, matched power supplies and cabling so it's not anything along those lines (Even the JVC X'eye has the original "JVC marked" controller, power supply and RF unit.. a rarity nowdays.).

About X'eye - I'm almost sure that it's just a CD door switch. Disassemble is and look at the CD board - it's in lower right corner. You'll see a small switch here, try putting something on it or just short-circuit it with something from the other side or the board. And it's normal that you can't select anything other than "option" - all other buttons are inaccessible until you close the door.

Also look at the picture - I marked the switch with red rectangle.

And I think that Sega CD1 is also suffering from the same problem - but I can't say for sure as I don't have it...but blinking green light means that CD tray is opened.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 197
Thanks KuKzz! I'll give that a try when I get some free time.. probably this weekend. I was thinking about the lid switch too; but when I open the lid and look inside I don't see any signs of a switch or button (At least not externally.. anyways). I'm a bit leery of opening the case as I'm a bit of a "klutz".. but what with my current financial situation.. if I don't do it.. it won't get done.. so I'll "bite the bullet".. so to speak. That very well could be the problem for 2 out of the 3 systems.. I think. I can do mechanical, I'm just not that good at electrical (Which is why I had to buy my PSX and Saturn "pre-modded". ;) I'll keep you posted.. I hope this is a minor fix.

Switch is there, it's just kinda hard to notice. Look slightly above the Open button in the cd placement area....I attached picture & marked it.

And don't afraid to open it - it's just 6 screws & nothing complicated inside, only 2 boards & CD mechanism. All of them are screwed to the bottom part of X'eye, so you won't break anything by just removing the top part :)

But before opening it you can try to push switch from the outside - it may help.

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 143
KuKzz.. you are my hero.. I canNOT thank you enough! I finally worked up enough courage (and boredom) to finally open the X'Eye up this morning. Just pushing the outside tray button did nothing. I located the very tiny black switch on the circiut board topside and kept it depressed and I'll be damn if the thing didn't take off and start spinning to read a disc. It made a hell of a racket though as the CD drive motor was spinning (no disc or pressure from the case top.. I guess) so I taped the little button down; put the lid back on and inserted a game CD. Works like a charm now. I guess I'm just gonna' have to find a way to "build up" either the little black button switch; or the bottom of the tray button. Perhaps when the postal service dropped t (I'm certain that's what happened now) it either broke off a small piece or jarred the button enough to where the two don't 'meet up" anymore. I'm gonna' try and fix it to where the door closing still activates the switch though and it doesn't have to be permanently taped down. Thanks again pal.. I owe you a million! Looks like I'm back in business again.

I think I'll even venture opening up the old Sega CD I later today.

Back