HAA-2510 Multiregion Mega Drive?

I was given this mega drive only a few months back. I was really intrigued to find that the system had whats seemed to be a built in rf modulator as well as a switch on the back of the unit. I assumed that the machine was a japanese regioned one so began testing it. I soon found that any game cart would run on it depsite region. I couldn't figure out what the switch at the back did as i never had to touch it, it seemed that games just automatically chaned region?!

I took it apart and found that the switch ran to an internal rf modulator, not the region jumpers. The shielding was also missing as well as the thing that locks the carts in place. The territory and 50/60Hz jumpers looked like they hadn't been touched; no wires or evidence of solder.

The model number is HAA-2510. when i googled it i got a bunck of yahoo japan auctions and some french forums. The system is the very early version that has the modem port on the back too. Just wondering if anybody knew anything about this system?

Attachments

• 000_0301.jpg
    000_0301.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 000_0301.jpg
    000_0301.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 219
I soon found that any game cart would run on it depsite region.

The region-locking mechanism is in the games, not the system. Most early games don't have a region lock, they just use the register to change the title screen if anything.

Not sure if those games have region lock. Good ones to try would be JP Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, or Bare Knuckle 3, for example.

Heh, probably the most famous locked-out game, and of course the first one that came to mind. I still can't forgive Treasure for actually optimizing the PAL version. What the hell were they thinking? ;)

I had the chance to buy alien soldier ex rental for next to nothing... about $10AUD a couple of years ago, but i thought nah, "i need more saturn games!"

I'll go through my games and see what really recent ones i can find.

Back