• Rise from your gwave!

half-life

Discussion in 'Computer's Discussion' started by Gallstaff, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

I just got the half-life platinum collection and all the games are grainy. It can't be my card, cuase i got this gateway a few months ago, and i tried all the resolutions but nothing works. If it matters, i'm in xp. Help!

2. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

Have you tried changing your color palette in Display settings to True Color (24 bit)? If not, at least High Color (16 bit)?

2^24 = 16,777,216 colors (24 bit)2^16 = 65,536 colors (16 bit)2^8 = 256 colors (8 bit)2^4 = 16 colors (4 bit)

3. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

no, but i did find something. I have to make the screen size smaller. thanks, tho. but now i got another problem with counter-strike. everytime i look for a server, it ays 0/0 playing. NO MATTER WHAT. whenever i look for a game to join, that comes up.

4. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

Half-Life sucks, get UT or some other bearable game (not quake 3)

5. Cloud121

Cloud121 Member

And if you have to get Q3, get on DC. I hate PC gaming. Hw everything has to be certain requirements. Plus when you add to the fact, that games can crash on PC, #### maybe even crash your comp period, that's another thing I hate.

Edit: Example: I was playing Starcraft: Brood War (only cause my friend made me, I'll take the original anyday), and in mid-game, my comp rebooted, and my primary CD-ROM drive died! Since then, I've had a big issue against BW.

Console gaming rules!

(Edited by Cloud121 at 12:47 pm on Mar. 22, 2002)

6. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

Actually, games can crash on consoles too. They just tend not to because:

1) There's pretty much no chance of running into crappy drivers that don't cooperate with your program.

2) There's pretty much no chance of running into crappy hardware that screws everything up.

3) The console publishers and developers can't just release patches like their PC counterparts, so they tend to get it right the first time...

7. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

Now that certain consoles come with a hard drive (that can store more than the game data itself), that might change. ;)

(Edited by MasterAkumaMatata at 2:16 pm on Mar. 22, 2002)

8. Captian Crazy

Captian Crazy New Member

Cloud, I don't see why anyone would want to play Quake 3 for DC...you cant mod them, add maps or skins, etc and UT for DC sucks ! they took out the assualt mode...

9. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

are you running in software mode? thats always very grainy. And dont bash Half-Life Skank, the original package might not be that great, but the mod community is awesome (and not just TFC, CS, and DoD). Ever played Action Half-Life (or its AUT counter part?), or Runaway Train, or any of the other TONS of mods? Action Half life is still my favorite FPS (even though its only a mod) on ANY console.

10. Mysticales

Mysticales New Member

11. Gallstaff

Gallstaff Member

SOFTWARE MODE! *whacks head*

12. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 New Member

ouch newb mistake. you guys should be happy all i got is software mode. stupid shitty IBM Aptiva grr.

13. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

half life and all its mods suck

14. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

What an incredibly intelligent, insightful, and qualified statement. I think I'll just delete my HL install right now...

15. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

hehe, actually, i dont have half life installed right now, but i find skanks lack of faith disturbing...

16. Raijin Z

Raijin Z New Member

SkankinMonkey's comment rings true. Why do you think they call it CheaterStrike?

17. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

actually thats the main reason it sucks :)

18. Supergrom

Supergrom Member

and thats the main reason i dont play counterstrike much. mostly only at the occasional lan party. On the internet i basically just play AHL