HD-DVD Question

Cloud121

Established Member
All HD DVD players will have a sensor that listens for inaudible watermarks in the soundtrack of movies, and will be included in the soundtracks of all major movies. If a DVD player does not detect the code, the disc must be a copy made by copying a film to video.

Does this also effect home movies as well?

I'm asking because I have a couple movies from school from years ago, that I hope to put on my computer and burn to DVD so they'll last longer.

This is of course, dependant on HD-DVD winning the "format war". I don't know a whole lot about Blu-Ray, so maybe this applies to that as well.

Personally, I'm an HD-DVD supporter.

This could only realistically apply to newer discs to which the protection has been applied. Existing DVDs couldn't be subject to it, otherwise there would be tons of DVDs that wouldn't work.

And even still, the players must play the content, even if it misses the watermark - how will they be able to differentiate between a pirated commercial HD-DVD with encryption removed (similar to today's DVD ripping) and a home-made HD-DVD? We all know that, if a player won't play home movie content or other non-commercial content, people will go apeshit when (if) they realize it.

You can also bet that, as soon as the watermark algorithm is cracked, there will be a little command-line tool to batch-mark as much audio as you need. And it will be cracked eventually, same as DVD protection has been and will continue to be cracked.

Originally posted by "LocalH"

And even still, the players must play the content, even if it misses the watermark - how will they be able to differentiate between a pirated commercial HD-DVD with encryption removed (similar to today's DVD ripping) and a home-made HD-DVD? We all know that, if a player won't play home movie content or other non-commercial content, people will go apeshit when (if) they realize it.
They'll definitely play home/noncommercial content... on DVD. <_<

Would that be good enough to quell the masses? Heck if I know.

Another HD-DVD question.

One of the things I like is that if you have an HD-DVD, you can still watch the movie in 480i/480p on your current player, since the standard resolution is included as well.

However, if HD-DVD is the "victor", what about years from now when HD-DVD "replaces" DVD? You think they'd continue to include the standard resolution version of the movie as well?

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2006-06-05 @ 03:44 AM

Another HD-DVD question.

One of the things I like is that if you have an HD-DVD, you can still watch the movie in 480i/480p on your current player, since the standard resolution is included as well.

However, if HD-DVD is the "victor", what about years from now when HD-DVD "replaces" DVD? You think they'd continue to include the standard resolution version of the movie as well?

[post=146564]Quoted post[/post]​

There's no need to include both a 480p and HD versions of the movie on the same disc. The player just needs to re-scale the HD movie in real-time to 480p for standard displays.

Some HD-DVDs have a standard DVD layer that is compatible with current DVD players the idea being you can "future proof" your new movie purchases without first investing in an expensive player). That's what he's talking about.

Back