Help with SuSE 9.1 & Mac OS X 10.3.4 networking!

Des-ROW

Established Member

Like you already know, my PC is currently running SuSE 9.1 Professional... well... I am having problems with networking my system with a iBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.3.4.

What I want is my computer to act as a server, since it is the one with internet connection. I just want the basic things such as... internet and file sharing between the 2 systems.

Can anyone help, pleeease?

First, set up the ICS (or NAT). Use this link, it's very helpful.

http://www.linuxforum.com/tutcomments/5/95.php

It truly is easier to do it from the command line that with the gui's.

Now, to file sharing. There aren't any particular guides for SuSE 9.1 either, and Yast is buggy with it's Samba set up, so I'll explain how I did it.

Control Center --> Yast2 modules --> network services --> samba server

It's step by step, it's fairly straightforward. Enable the service, and then choose which folders you want to share. This is where it gets tricky. Since it's 9.1, Yast is a little buggy, so you'll have to manually check the samba.conf file. The easiest way to do it is: click the SuSE start button, and near the bottom choose 'Run Command', and enter:

'kdesu konqueror' without the quotes. Alternately, you can use a terminal, but if you close a terminal you kill the super user browser. Get to /etc/samba/smb.conf and make sure all is well. Add shares like so:

Code:
[sharename]

comment = Comment

path = /path/to/share

read only = no

public = yes

Now, you need to add users to the share, with this (as a super user in a terminal) command:

Code:
smbpasswd -a [i]user[/i] [b]password[/b]

where user is the client's username and password is the client's password.

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I do not know if I'm finding the first folder that document you refered me to is talking about. The /etc/rc.d/ folder does not have a rc.local file in it. It does have a rc file (no .local extension). Is it the same file?

I have also noticed that the whole rc.d folder is a link to /etc/init.d/... is that normal?

Whoops, that's my fault for not checking. yes, that's normal (init.d is where scripts are kept, it's linked from rc.d, maybe it's a SuSE thing, I don't know).

Let me try to find a better answer (or worse yet, try setting up ICS on my machine (never had a need for it)).

For some reason, I cannot save the changes I made to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file... I did log in as root from the Terminal, but KWrite will not let me save to that folder because of the lack of permissions... How do I enable a root session on my current session on KDE? I am sorry for how basic this question seems, but I was using GNOME just a little time ago and I still feel a bit lost on KDE...

Ok, got it. Kind of counter intuitive.

In control panel, it's Yast2 Modules --> Security and Users --> Firewall.

Enable the firewall, and choose which items you want forwarded. Hopefully that works.

Edit: make sure you choose: Forward traffic and do masquerading (it's the 3rd screen in) and turn off 'protect from internal network.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 9, 2004 @ 04:32 AM

How do I enable a root session on my current session on KDE?

Easiest way, as mentioned above is:

kdesu konqueror

I'm sorry, maybe I just don't understand... But by doing that thing on YaST, I don't have to follow the instructions on that link you provided before? I just have to do that Firewall thing and the DHCP server will be working, and I will have to just set the iBook to use DHCP to connect to the internet and it will all work?

Ok, here's the steps, hopefully you can cut and paste and make it coherent.

The Samba and the Firewall thing can be done separately, as far as I can tell.

For ICS:

1) Enable the Firewall under Yast2.

- there's about four screens of setup for the firewall, I think it's pretty self

explanatory.

- using the link I provided, only follow step number 6 (this is for setting

up client machines.

After you set up the firewall, make sure to physically restart the SuSE machine. It's easier to trouble shoot that way.

For Samba:

1) Follow the directions above.

Thank you. That is more simple to understand!

I do have one doubt... On YaST, you can choose the "Devices to Protect". It states "Internal Devices" and "External Devices". Since my connection is set to dsl0, I chose that one to be the External Device to be protected. Then I have 2 other options (which I assume are my Ethernet cards...), and I chose one of the two as the Internal Device to be protected. Is that the correct thing to do?

"On each client computer, set the gateway to the internal IP address of the linux computer that is connected directly to the internet. Under DNS put in the primary and/or secondary DNS IP addresses of your ISP (Internet Service Provider)."

How do I find out the Internal IP address of my Linux computer? And where can I find those DNS addresses?

No, it's not. The correct setting is to protect the external network only. If you protect the internal AND external network, no packets will go through.

That, and it's redundant. You're protecting the server pc from the external world AND the internal network you're trying to serve.

Aren't computers fun? :D While probably more secure (who knows), XP makes this process much, much simpler, and it's farther along on the development cycle. That being said, hopefully this works for you.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jun 9, 2004 @ 07:58 PM

No, it's not. The correct setting is to protect the external network only. If you protect the internal AND external network, no packets will go through.

That, and it's redundant. You're protecting the server pc from the external world AND the internal network you're trying to serve.

Aren't computers fun? :D While probably more secure (who knows), XP makes this process much, much simpler, and it's farther along on the development cycle. That being said, hopefully this works for you.

Then which External Interface should I choose to be protected?

I really appreciate your help, and thank you for staying around to help me!

In a terminal, log in as a super user, and type in:

ifstatus [connection]. In your case, it'd be 'ifstatus dsl0'.

This will tell you everything you need to know: IP, DNS, etc.

The external device you want to protect is the DSL connect, so dsl0 (if that's the connection name).

Not a problem; there aren't any specific guides out for SuSE 9.1 yet (and the updates are slow in coming), so we all have to help each other.

Typing that on the Terminal gave me this:

interface dsl0 is up

provider-file: provider0

demand: no

I did not see the internal IP address there...

eth0 No IP address Assigned (DHCP)

Is that bad..?

Ugh. No, it's not. Hmm, I need to think about this one (I don't have DSL).

Hrm...

Thank you very much for taking the trouble of helping me. I will be here...

ifstatus dsl0 -o check

Hopefully that works. Still searching...

::smack::

!!!

it's simply 'ifconfig'

Jesus! What a waste of time. :lol:

Back