Hey Audiophiles! A lil' help please?

lordofduct

Established Member

He is the run down.

Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX THX Select EX Certified A/V Receiver w/ DTS decoder

60" JVC HDTV with HDMI (which my PC is hooked through)

and the problem child:

MSI MEGA PC 865 Deluxe

TV Tuner

Windows 2000

The PC has SPDIF out and in. I am using the Optical Out to my Receiver and when listening to CD's and Mp3's it works fine and travels through all 6 of my speakers (no sub at this moment... po'). I just got it hooked up and I'm trying to get DVD playback on it.

First try: Cyberlink PowerDVD (old version... 2001 about when my parents bought their Dell which it came with. I think 3).

Get strange errors when using it. No playback at all. Doesn't recognize my SPDIF output.

Second try: Cyberlink PowerDVD 5 (came with the DVD-ROM i bought)

The disk has a giant crease in the tin on the top of the CD that starts at the center and strait out to the edge. The disk still runs and installs the software... BUT as there is that crease the drivers and whatnot installed are all buggered. Tons of glitches. And the Video freezes.

Funny thing is it recognizes my SPDIF out!!!!

Third try: Cyberlink PowerDVD 6 Deluxe DTS(ummm... yeah... i won't say where i got it)

I installed this and finally I can play video! I have the DTS package for it (basically the best package). Now a problem... it does not recognize my SPDIF optical out! So I can't pass the DTS signal through to the receiver(I tried it before upgrading to the DTS package as well). My PC has AC97 codec(yeah... I know... shut up) to turn my mp3's and shit into multispeaker signals and send it to my receiver for a surround sound feel... but the stupid PowerDVD software won't even use that either! So I'm stuck with only my front left, front right and center when watching DVDs. No matter what settings I put it on (4, 6, 8 speaker). WTF!?

I also got Nvidia PureVideo Mpeg2 decoder... but it doesn't work in 2000. Only on XP and MCE. GRRRRR.

Can someone PLEASE HELP!

I'm seriousily thinking about going back to Linux for this... everything is free or not illegal there.--- that and it WORKS

Have you tried messing with the device settings in the Windows sound control panel (don't remember the exact name)? If memory serves it allows selecting the default output device for the different classes of output (i.e. loopback vs. waveout vs. synth or whatever). While a soundcard is normally one output device, I wouldn't be surprised if the S/PDIF out is considered a separate one...

Originally posted by lordofduct+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lordofduct)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm seriousily thinking about going back to Linux for this... everything is free or not illegal there.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-United States Code Title 17 Section 1201

(a) Violations Regarding Circumvention of Technological Measures.—

(1)

(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. The prohibition contained in the preceding sentence shall take effect at the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this chapter.
[/quote]Welcome to America, and remember: you're a Communist if you don't watch movies in the theater.

so technically by that statement... because my DVD-ROM and computer out of box not being able to play DVDs... mean the installation of Cyberlink PowerDVD is a circumvention of technolofical measures.

or am I wrong?

It is kinda dick that one can't "watch" a movie through their DVD player with out paying yet even more money for it. I can purchase a DVD player for 30 bucks at any store. OR a DVD-ROM for the same price and NOT watch movies on an even smaller screen along with limited quality if I were to purchase the decoders to do so. I really don't want to get into that though...

Oh and yes I've played around with the audio settings in Windows... maybe not deep enough. I could have missed something. To busy to go check right now... gots work... ugh.

Originally posted by lordofduct+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lordofduct)</div><div class='quotemain'>so technically by that statement... because my DVD-ROM and computer out of box not being able to play DVDs... mean the installation of Cyberlink PowerDVD is a circumvention of technolofical measures.

or am I wrong?[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-17 USC 1201

(3) As used in this subsection—

(A) to “circumvent a technological measure” means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner
[/quote]As far as I know, for DVDs the "authority" is presumed to be conferred via the DVD Copy Control Association, although I guess we can't be certain without seeing the contracts that publishers and player providers sign, and in any case I don't see how there would be a difference between a software and hardware player in this regard, as long as both are licensed to implement CSS.

Well atleast I have until 2 years after the writing of that chapter...

Back