Hi-Saturn and V-Saturn for sale. Should I sell them premodded?

Within the next couple of months I am going to have several Sega Saturn systems up for sale. I have a Hi-Saturn, a V-Saturn and three regular American Saturn's. I want to sell these systems with pre-installed switch less region mods (Seb's Ultimate Sega Saturn Mod - http://seb.riot.org/saturnmod/) and modchips.

The only reason I am asking this question is because it will cost me roughly $50 just to install these mods in any one of these Saturn's and I do not want to even attempt it if 1. it will not increase the value of the systems more than $50 and 2. I fear that by modifying the Hi-Saturn and the V-Saturn they might not be as valuable to a collector as an unaltered system or system that has never been taken apart.

In my mind having a Hi-Saturn is one thing, but having a Hi-Saturn that will play all regions of games (by utilizing the best switch less mod available) and play backup discs is a whole different ball game. Personally I wouldn't even want a Japanese Saturn if the only way I could play American games was to use an AR or Gameshark. So obviously these systems would be aimed at selling to non-Japanese gamers.

Anyways guys, please give me some feedback here. Thanks

You could always try selling them here in the forums with the option of moding them for an increased price.

Yeah, that is an option I suppose. I guess the other question is, will my listing be removed if I post these on eBay? I have seen a few modded systems sell on eBay, but it seems you have to cleverly list/describe the system and then there are probably not too many people that fully understand what is for sale... But first I just want to see if people think that having these mods pre-installed would make these systems more valuable.

If the Hi-Saturn and V-Saturn are in anything close to mint condition, I'd say don't mod them. If they're obviously in "used" condition then I don't see how a mod would hurt. However, I'm not sure it would be worth a $50 price bump. You might be better off just installing the region mod, since that's dirt-cheap (going price for a 74HC157 was around 50 cents last time I looked) and somewhat more "legit" (although I think a strict reading of eBay policy still prohibits it).

Thank you ExCyber for your input. Besides not having the boxes, both the V-Saturn and Hi-Saturn are in mint condition. Not a single scuff or scratch anywhere. Either way, I would still definitely consider performing these mods as long as they brought the value of the system up rather than down. I am glad to have your opinion though, because that tells me that this could likely cause these systems to lose value because of the collectible value of an untampered mint condition unit.

Yeah going with the 74157 mod would be another (much cheaper) region mod and most people would probably be just as happy with this mod as opposed to the ultimate mod. Hm... Decisions, decisions... Maybe that is another question I should be asking everyone. I guess I thought of using Seb's mod for these somewhat rare systems because it would make the systems that much rarer among other region modded systems.

When it comes to switch less region modding, does anyone care if the system can just switch between JAP and USA or should it be able to handle ALL functions of region switching (JAP, USA, EUR and 50/60 hz)? Obviously someone in the U.S. would never need the 50/60 hz switch. Using the 74157 mod that ExCyber mentioned I would be able to install the region mod for mere pennies. But using Seb's mod I have to consider the cost of the preprogrammed pic, circuit board, resistors, capacitors, and of course my own patience in building the whole thing...

Also ExCyber, I think that you are correct about eBay's policy even on just region modding........ This seems to be a lot more complicated than it should be... :)

Well nobody seems to care about the mods so I just went ahead and listed the Hi-Saturn on eBay as a BIN/Best Offer. Just search Hi-Saturn. The V-Saturn won't be ready to list for at least another month (waiting for a CIB one to replace it). The three regular saturns will probably go for like $20 bucks apiece in separate auctions.

Back