How to control another computer on your network?

Okay, I have a streaming radio server and I want to be able to access its desktop from my computer. My main goals are: enqueue mp3s into the Winamp playlist, view the data from a bandwidth monitoring program, and reconnect to AIM whenever the server becomes disconnected. Another useful feature would be taking a snapshot of the desktop and saving it to the hd every minute or so.

I've heard of Remote Assistance, but I'm using Windows 2k so I don't think it'll work. From what I've read, it sounds like the server has to send a request for Remote Assistance to my main pc, but I wouldn't know how to navigate through the desktop without a monitor. Unless I make a macro that I can activate with a push of a keyboard button, then Remote Assistance might be useful to me. Anyone have any experiences with this?

The easiest solution is to use something like pcanywhere or vnc viewer. VNC is free and works cross platform. It'll give you complete access to the target machine's desktop.

If the server PC has XP on it you can just use Remote Connection to connect to it. The bonus is that the client can run on any flavor of Windows. Just make sure you enable it in the system control panel.

all you will ever need is this tiny prog: TWD INDUSTRIES REMOTE ANYTHING Forget all the bloatware, this will DO the job.... google on it :)

It has some nice features, but it doesn't do a significantly better job than, say, TightVNC. Also, it's not free.

Remote Desktop is the only one I've tried so far that handles alpha effects, and I assume video overlays (not that they are usable, of course ;) ).

Back