How to encode TrueMotion movies for Saturn?

RockinB

Established Member
Has anyone succeeded in making a TrueMotion encoded movie, that works with the TrueMotion Library for SEGA Saturn?

The pitty thing is, that the Saturn specific TrueMotion encoder needs a licence string, but I don't have any (anyone got one?). I'm speaking about the stuff included in INSTALL.WIN directory of this file:

http://www.segaxtreme.net/content/satdev/Tools/sega/Duck.zip

Another working encoder with key is included here:

http://www.segaxtreme.net/content/satdev/Tools/audiovideo/ctk_516_sn_ Q2W2J4UPMPVQNCBW.exe

But my first attempt making a Saturn-compatible TrueMotion AVI with it failed. I could get the example-movies from the TM developer disc working on the example player for Saturn, but not the selfmade movie.

I'm thinking if the TrueMotiuon 2x actually is equal to the TrueMotion "S" used for Saturn?

Well, I'm pretty sure someone here must know how to do it right

TrueMotion 2x != Truemotion S

Also, you probably know you must use Win3.11 to use the codec.

I tested it some years ago and succeeded after some tries. I made the "FIRST SATAKORE DEMO CD".

I just remember that you must think about the transfert rate for the Saturn, so you must use the correct size x*y and correct framerate (I think they talk about that in the readme).

I thought this thread was about decoding TrueMotion movies for a legal homebrewn player for the Saturn. :bebored:

Has anyone tried playing with the ffmpeg/ffdshow Truemotion codec(s) to see if it can be convinced to output a Saturn-compatible stream?

Also, if memory serves, Theora is actually a derivative of TrueMotion; if someone wanted to do a homebrew player, I'd suggest going for that rather than one of the old TrueMotion standards if it's feasible...

The relation between Truemotion and Theora is that Duck Corporation became On2 who released the VP3 codec as opensource, which then became the basis for Theora. The actual codecs are AFAIK not related - TM is based on delta quantization while VP3 is DCT-based.

Thanks for the key, the Win3.11-hint and the TM2.x != TM"s" statement.

This will help a lot to add movie support to the "Police Officer Smith" render adventure game!

ExCyber said:
Has anyone tried playing with the ffmpeg/ffdshow Truemotion codec(s) to see if it can be convinced to output a Saturn-compatible stream?

Also, if memory serves, Theora is actually a derivative of TrueMotion; if someone wanted to do a homebrew player, I'd suggest going for that rather than one of the old TrueMotion standards if it's feasible...

What exactly do you mean by Saturn-compatible stream - do you want to port ffdshow to Saturn, using it as a software player for your own DUCK movies?

Actually I think he just wants to use a video in a demo, using the TrueMotion library.

To do this, he needs to have a file encoded in a stream that the library is capable of using.

rorirub said:
What exactly do you mean by Saturn-compatible stream - do you want to port ffdshow to Saturn, using it as a software player for your own DUCK movies?
No, I was talking about using ffmpeg to encode a stream that could be played back by the Saturn Truemotion player code.

Back