How would I create a JRPG in Joengine with beginner knowledge of c?

Frosty

If I look up videos on c++ jrpgs could I kind of convert the knowledge to C? I saw a really good documentary on making a rogue like game in C but that is just text.

I am a really dumb person but I want to make something on the Saturn out of boredom. I work two jobs and I know people will try to push me away saying I am too stupid to use joengine but I am stubborn.

I am not asking someone to write code for me just curious if I learn how to make a jrpg in c++ or C# would that translate to C with some tweaking?

slinga

No one will call you stupid but I think most here will advise you to walk before you try to run. How far have you gotten with Jo Engine? Before starting your own major project I want you to have done the following:

1) Have you successfully compiled and run your own "Hello World" program?
2) Can you read input from the controller?
3) Have you written test code to display your own sprites?
4) Play CD audio? Play PCM audio?

There are examples for all of them in Jo Engines Samples directory, internalize how to do it. This is all you need for a basic game.

5) I came a across Asteroids Terra by mxfolken on GitHub. It is an Asteroids clone written with Jo Engine that I recommend you take a look at. It seems to be written very cleanly. I tried compiling it and unfortunately I couldn't get it run.
6) Since you like watching videos, I'm assuming you watch Emerald Nova's channel?
7) Pick a simple game to clone and clone it. Ideally starting with something in C. I've written Pong, Snake, and Flappy Bird clones. Pick something where you can find videos online of people cloning. Don't worry about your game sucking. First games will always suck.

Once you've completed that you can move to bigger projects.

And to answer your question, yes you can port code from C++ to C. Depending on the codebase and features of C++ used it may or may not be trivial but it will definitely be time consuming. Why not find an RPG already in C that you like?

Ponut

Well, #1 is I hope you're prepared to dump all of your free time into learning C and Saturn hardware stuff because you're gonna need every minute of it between two jobs. No shade. Just reality :)

The other thing I'll say is, what you need for a JRPG is:

- Good menu code and rapid menu arbitration
- Menu data and menu triggers read from binaries (from files on CD).
- Working knowledge of tile maps (VDP2).

The bad thing is, Jo Engine cannot help you on _any_ of these aside from the most basic of basic things.
So you need to focus on them in order.

The first task is getting a menu system.
Then get that menu system to respond to D-pad input.
Then get that system to trigger things in an overall game runtime.
Then get that overall system to read its parameters from other menu structures, if need be (nesting/triggers).
Then get that system to form itself from data in memory, rather than be hard-coded.

Emerald Nova has streams covering pretty much all of that.

Starting from this video: