HS graduation present

ratfish

Established Member
Okay, so my parents told me that they want to buy me a high school graduation present.

The only thing that I could think of was an electric/midi guitar.

What should I ask for, I really can't think of much besides video game related stuff. I don't really want video games (not that I don't like them), but I want something else.

So what do you think I should ask for?

EDIT: It has to be reasonable. We're not rich, not even close to it.

an iPod?
biggrin.gif

I was going to suggest a car.. but.. I noticed you said you're not rich =P

How about:

clothes?

RC Airplane?

Bike?

$$$ for when you KNOW what you want?

trip to the strip/nudy bar?

a hooker? =)

My (college) graduation present was getting kicked out of the house. No, quite seriously. I landed a job (out of state), and my dad was ticked, so out of the house I go!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by IceMan2k@May 16, 2003 @ 10:41 AM

A really comfy computer chair

Wise words, wise words. I really want one of those big leather swivel chairs like Bond villains have..

I'm still leaning towards the hussie.
laugh.gif

No, seriously now, I think that the chair is the best suggestion. Seeing how much time I spend in front of the computer (like many of us I guess).
smile.gif

MONEY!!!

Trust me, you will need it. Once you get to college, you will be on an endless diet of Ramen Noodles and Mac and Cheese (and not the Kraft kind either). If you have enough money put back, you might be able to afford Rice-a-Roni every once and a while. Maybe even generic Pop-Tarts. The stereotype of the college student living on pizza? Totaly false, pizza is too expensive.

And as for the hooker, just buy some Trojans (enough to double up) and pick up some skank at a bar. Don't matter how much of a gamer-geek you are, anyone can pick someone up if they play it right.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 16, 2003 @ 01:14 PM

MONEY!!!

Yeah, I'm getting money from my "financially secure" grandparents that live on the east coast. Why is it that old couples eat dinner so early, and talk about food and friends 90% of the time? I guess it just comes with being old. :lol:I'm pretty sure that my parents want to buy me a gift, you know, the whole wrap-it-up present thing. They'll probably give me a card w/some $ too (I hope).

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 16, 2003 @ 01:14 PM

And as for the hooker, just buy some Trojans (enough to double up) and pick up some skank at a bar. Don't matter how much of a gamer-geek you are, anyone can pick someone up if they play it right.

I bet I could, but when will I find time to fit in the video games?
biggrin.gif

Aaaanyways, thanks for the suggestions guys. I've still got around 20 days left until school (prison) lets out.

Originally posted by SegaFreak@May 17, 2003 @ 09:47 AM

I've still got around 20 days left until school (prison) lets out.

School = Prison? Hardly...

Just wait until you start working for a living.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
True Mal! Though school can seem like prison, and work is more like slavery.

However, here is some great graduation advice. Always remember this. Never work for money! Your interest and passion in a job should be your first priority, payrate should be a lesser priority. You'll find that working can be very rewarding and fun.

*ahem* is anyone hiring. tindo(at)softhome.net

working advice from the unemployed
biggrin.gif

MTXBlau, your Dad got mad at you for getting a job! funny in an odd way.
tongue.gif

School = Prison? Hardly...

Just wait until you start working for a living.

I don't know what school you went to, but my first two years of high-school were quite literally neurosis-inducing (and I still haven't fully recovered), so I'm a little less skeptical of SegaFreak's assessment. It really all depends on how the school is run - the one I went to had a fairly pervasive negative attitude, essentially treating each student as a set of problems to be dealt with. Based on what I've read about the way most "educational" institutions developed in the USA (i.e. based heavily on Skinner's model of reward and punishment), I wouldn't be shocked if there are quite a few schools that work similarly.

For one thing, I'm not in the US...

I don't know, the two high schools I went to had their ups and downs, but I'd never call them prisons. It was far too easy to wag (I guess you would say 'cut') classes and you get holidays.
wink.gif

I went through some tough times at my second high school (Melbourne High for the locals). It is a selective school so there's always the pressure to perform academically. I was a good student for two years until I fell to two great things; extra-curricular theatre and girls.
biggrin.gif

Adding those new 'hobbies' to the fact that my father died the year before, things went downhill in a sense. I was falling behind in class and started suffer for it. I was really having problems with some of my teachers.

Then I started avoiding the classes I didn't like, wagging school to hang out with my girlfriend and focussed most of the time that I was at school on the shows we put on. I was staying out all hours, drinking, smoking and just having fun.

School was giving me shit so I ended up giving up on classes almost completely. One day the school laid down the law:

Repeat the year as a model student and stay out of the theatre or they wouldn't have me back next year.

It took me a while to think it over, but in the end I went back and knuckled down. I passed everything easily.
smile.gif

As a reward in my final year they let me do shows again. Of course my marks went downhill, but I think they'd realized where my future lay by then and I had their support.
smile.gif

Originally posted by SegaFreak@May 15, 2003 @ 11:45 PM

Okay, so my parents told me that they want to buy me a high school graduation present.

The only thing that I could think of was an electric/midi guitar.

What should I ask for, I really can't think of much besides video game related stuff. I don't really want video games (not that I don't like them), but I want something else.

So what do you think I should ask for?

EDIT: It has to be reasonable. We're not rich, not even close to it.

Ask for money to pay for college.

Back