I work with old people!

racketboy

Established Member
Just a small rant...

The people I work with amaze me sometimes.

The IT guys and programmers I work with don't even know what American Idol is (I'm not a big fan, but at least I know what it is), have ever heard of WIRED magazine, and some of them don't even own computers!

What the heck? :huh:

some of them don't even own computers

This isn't so shocking. Not everyone who works with computers is an enthusiast, and often working with something professionally reduces the desire to pursue the same field on personal time. Even if you look at a computer purely as a tool, their needs may be met perfectly well by occasionally using someone else's (friend/relative, work, library) computer, in much the same way that many people who live in urban areas do not own cars and commute via public transportation or carpooling.

I have yet to meet a mechanic that doesn't own a car? :looney Or a musician that doesn't own a radio. Or an author that doesn't own a book!!

I'd kick those old farts in the ass and tell them to get with the times. Old people are cool, . . . when they aren't so "old." Modern old people are the most groovy. :banana

Oh geeze, now I'm all worried about being that stubborn when I'm old. :sigh

But technology is different. It's a created neccesity, not a real one. You can still live very well without owning a computer. It's an artificial need society says we "have to have". You know, like fashion. I am in my early 40's, and remember when computers were something only large corporations could afford. When I graduated HS, there were only a couple in the whole school, in labs, not the admin offices of the school. Even in college they were rare. (early 80's) I currently own (including laptops) 16 computers. Too many! But I could live without them. (just don't touch my consoles!) I even have one soley dedicated to gaming, that's it! 5 are set up in my office and run daily. But mostly they are for hobbiest functions, a little coding, some h**king, one is a file server only.

As for the old people working in IT, first, what do you call old? How old? Second, it is possible they don't feel the need to own a computer at home because they do all their computing at work. (Who doesn't?) Let the rants begin.

I have yet to meet a mechanic that doesn't own a car? Or a musician that doesn't own a radio. Or an author that doesn't own a book!!

Do you think that such people don't exist simply because you haven't physically run into them wherever you happen to be?

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Feb 19, 2004 @ 01:26 PM

what the heck is an American Idol?

(I'm 19 years old)

It's a talent show, to manufacture a pop star that everyone will forget about in a years time.

In the UK it's called Pop Idol, it started here.

I apoligize on behalf of the British for Simon Cowell. He is such a tosser, you Americans don't deserve to have to put up with him.

I personally like Simon, most of the time. I love how he takes a terrible singer (who thinks there great) and crushes them. Of course, even I think he is too mean sometimes.

Originally posted by falstaff@Feb 19, 2004 @ 07:23 PM

I think he is a realist and honest.

yeah -- somebody's got to do it.

some of these people just need to accept the fact that they shouldn't base their dreams on their [lack of] singing ability

From the tiny bit of the show I've actually seen, I don't think it's anything more than that Simon's job is to be the guy who's tough to impress. The others seem to gush over practically every performance, and Simon's the only one who is trying to seperate talented singers from competent ones.

Back