Ikaruga

Man I love this game. The presentation is so well constructed and the gameplay is just perfect. TATE mode really is the only way to play though, play the game in TATE on a vga monitor with a nice joystick and you'll see it really start to shine.

Still haven't beaten the game though. I've been using default settings since I got it. I always die on level four, the big rotating thing gets me every time. The one time I did get past that part, I was immediately killed by the big lasers that follow. Anyone got any advice for that part?

I also have trouble with the level 3 sub-boss and the level 3 boss. The level 3 boss is tricky, but once you have the pattern down he's not too tough... that shark-headed sub-boss on the other hand.. I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but I always end up concentrating too much on the lightning streams/lasers and not the shots that he spews out.

Another thing, I've seen some of the awesome chain videos made of this game, and I can do pretty good on the first level, but once level 2 hits I just try to stay alive and rack up chains when I have a good opportunity. Past that, I'm lucky to get a 3 or 4 chain. ;) Is anyone here actually good enough to chain through all those little fighter jets on level 2?

I play Ikaruga through a vga box adaptor on my Mitsubishi diamond plus trinitron monitor.

Talk about wicked picture,

Makes the xbox look like a ZX81.

I also bought a second hand 28 inch Philips widescreen tv and it was slightly faulty.

I turned the entire tv on its side for Ikaruga and Galactic attack and "Holy woley",

This is awsome,Massive graphics flying up the screen in super detail.

My freind thought i was crazy but what the heck,Us games players want the best experience :devil

I also run Mame arcade emulator on my pc which has a tv output facility on the graphics card.

Use this on the Philips widescreen and over 400 shooters to choose from and all in correct aspect ratio.

Ikaruga is a solid recomendation,Use VGA box for best results.

Sad that the dreamcast is no more,Sega are crazy for ditching it.

I think it had the sharpest graphics out of all the machines.

:smokin:

Attachments

• tom.jpg
    tom.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 111
  • tom.jpg
    tom.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 109
For everyone out there that has bought the PAL or US gamecube version of Ikaruga, you are missing a hell of alot of the story, (not only to mention that the PAL version is a poor little brother to the NTSC vers.) Trust me ive played all of the different versions!

The Jap version of Ikaruga features the same in game text as RS, especially towards the end ie. "i gave you life so that you could make good progress" and other wonderful Engrish theological texts :p .

The game is as much a shooter as it is a puzzle game. True "ikaruga" enlighenment can only come by playing it as the later method. (Whatch the Ikaruga Appreciate DVD to know really how much you suck at the game!)

(SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)

Personally, i loved the game, but it is still only second to RS. Why? because i felt that Ikaruga was rushed and underdeveloped, especially its story. I feel that this part of the game could have been more developed... FMV back story anyone?. Though depsite this i got the same feeling from the ending that i did from RS. It feels very sad when you die, but at the same time it has a great sense of hope as you know that your sacrifice has freed mankind again, kinda the same as the RS ending. If you really pay attention, the whole game is losely based on Zen buddhist philosophy. There is a page on the web that explores this but i cant remember the URL

The (small) team behind Ikaruga must be given much repsect for creating such a wonderful game that has managed to keep my ass kicked for this long! So in closing i will leave you with my current best score for level 1.....

71 Chain

2.2 Million

Please dont laugh!

Back