I'm going to attempt something very, very cool.

I'm selling my current PC for a few hundred pounds... And I've got a broken Mega Drive and Mega CD. (Since, I'm not a PC gamer, I don't need performance!)

Together, they have a lot of space inside.

- Enough for a mini ITX motherboard:

epia-cl_2.jpg

- Black CD/RW drive where the Mega CD's drive was.

- Hard drive, maybe a Laptop hard drive if no space.

- Modified Power Supply

I'm gonna keep the original 'Access' and 'Ready' lights, Access being the HDD light, and use the 'Ready' light as ther power light, and use the original light ontop of the Mega Drive as the power light too. I'm gonna try and start this in a week or two....

So yeah, wish meee luck. I'll post all my progress on here.

VIA C3 1Ghz

64MB On-Board Graphics

1024MB RAM

CD/RW

40-120GB HDD, undecided!

Oh yeah, what's that website where people post crazy shit like this? I need to find it again, so I can just read up on stuff! :D

www.mini-itx.com?

I once wanted to make a mini itx based computer out of my NES shell... never really got around to it... and the price for the novelty wasn't practical for me.

Originally posted by Nadius@Dec 9, 2003 @ 01:59 PM

www.mini-itx.com?

I once wanted to make a mini itx based computer out of my NES shell... never really got around to it... and the price for the novelty wasn't practical for me.

Thanks!

Yeah, I thought of doing that a while back, but I never felt like tracking down a model 1 genesis and sega cd. You'll probably find that you'll want to go back to a normal pc after this though, because despite the fastest board clocking in at like 900 mhz or whatever it is, it's still the equivalent of about a 500 mhz celeron I hear.

It's supposed to be the coolest running CPU on the market (i.e. doesn't need fans or any of that nonsense).

However, you can get the same effect with an underclocked Duron, etc...

You can't argue with the price point, though.

an underclocked duron is still going to be a bigger board, but it'll run faster than this thing would.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Dec 9, 2003 @ 02:22 PM

Yeah, I thought of doing that a while back, but I never felt like tracking down a model 1 genesis and sega cd. You'll probably find that you'll want to go back to a normal pc after this though, because despite the fastest board clocking in at like 900 mhz or whatever it is, it's still the equivalent of about a 500 mhz celeron I hear.

I've read on places, the 1Ghz CPU runs very very well.

All I do anyway is browse the net and chat on MSN. I sometimes use photoshop, but only to design the odd website.

So I probally won't mind at all.

(I've used Photoshop loads on my dads 550Mhz machine, and I aint complained)

Maybe load gens and a good SMS/GG emu on there? That's be a cool setup, specially if u could still use the controller ports.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Dec 9, 2003 @ 04:53 PM

Maybe load gens and a good SMS/GG emu on there? That's be a cool setup, specially if u could still use the controller ports.

could just swap the standard controller ports out with usb ports

Originally posted by BJammzz@Dec 9, 2003 @ 04:53 PM

Yeah, I will do. I'm gonna keep the original controller ports, but mod them to use USB, but retain the original plug type.

I have a broken MD pad, and a crap USB game pad lying around. I could try and somehow fit the USB pad inside the MD pad. Well maybe..

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research. The mobo I want, is a true 1Ghz CPU, easily handing all types of video with no skipping, and can even play Quake 3 Arena etc... So I'm cool with that, just as long as I can surf the web/design websites.

I've hit a problem, CDRW drives. I'm fitting a CDRW drive into the Mega CD. but because only the CDRW tray will fit, I wont be able to press the open button. I'm gonna wire the MDs reset button, into the Burner, (gonna practice on a old 2x first) and make the RESET button act as open... Which is cool, since that's what the MCD used as a open button anyway. :D

Everythings costing me, £300. It's a MD with 1024MB DDR RAM.... ^_^

If you're talking about that 100000M nehemiah board, then yes it does run at 1ghz, however... it does next to nothing per cycle or something, so it feels like a 500mhz celeron I've heard. As for your controller ports, what you should do is wire them up as the directpad setup, and into the parallel port. Then you could plug actual genesis controllers into this box. That was what I had planned on doing.

Originally posted by Nadius@Dec 9, 2003 @ 06:59 PM

www.mini-itx.com?

someone sold one on ebay for a LOT of money! I remember the slim CD drive in the toaster lid. very cool.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Dec 8, 2003 @ 11:45 PM

an underclocked duron is still going to be a bigger board, but it'll run faster than this thing would.

Well if it's a Genny+MCD, I don't think space is too much of a concern (well, depends on the model). One with integrated video and sound would definetly hit the spot, although that can get pricey.

Whatever works. It probably makes a helluva lot more sense to use a mini-ATX w/ the C3 though.

Directpad has a slight lag, so that might be something to take into consideration (or not).

EDIT: Two years, seven months, 1000 posts. Wonder why it took so long? I also wonder what the finally tally is from the old message board. Anyway, carry on.

directpad may have a lag, I've never tried it. But I've never noticed any lag with ntpad at all, and I've beat many a game on my snes interface.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Dec 9, 2003 @ 07:10 PM

If you're talking about that 100000M nehemiah board, then yes it does run at 1ghz, however... it does next to nothing per cycle or something, so it feels like a 500mhz celeron I've heard. As for your controller ports, what you should do is wire them up as the directpad setup, and into the parallel port. Then you could plug actual genesis controllers into this box. That was what I had planned on doing.

I'm getting the CL10000...

...Lacks the 5.1, but I don't need it, as long I have my stereo outputs.

...It does have 2x LAN sockets, whuch I need (For network/internet)

And I've read some reviews, and this board is said to be tweaked and run faster than the M10000. :)

EDIT: I see what you mean about the Celerons... a Celeron 600 is almost twice the speed. Jetway make similar boards, but you can add your own CPU, which is nicer... Could fit a P3 ;)

EDIT (2): Jeeeeeeeeeez!!! http://linitx.com/shop/product_info.php/cP...products_id/325

PENTIUM 4, and its Mini-ITX, Pentium 4 Genesis anyone?

Now that's more like it. :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by mal@Dec 10, 2003 @ 05:42 PM

Now that's more like it. :thumbs-up:

I can fit it maybe, could be tight with CDRW, may have to get a Laptop drive.. which sucks kinda... Since I want it as much possible like a Sega CD mk1.

I found loads of P3 mobos, and P3 aint bad, way better than a C3! But P4 = Heat. Modded Genny = Small space.. Hmm I will see!

Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Dec 10, 2003 @ 06:33 PM

But P4 = Heat. Modded Genny = Small space.. Hmm I will see!

You should add a 32x to the top of the gen and put a water cooling thing inside the 32x. Then run it down into the gen through the cartridge slot lol. That would kick so much ass. I wish I had the required motivation to do something like that.

Got links for the PIII mobos?

Adding a 32x for the space is an awesome idea. :)

Back