I'm thinking of getting a new machine

mal

Established Member

I'm thinking of buying console, not that I really have the time to play one. :rolleyes:

An Xbox isn't a contender, because my brother has one and I reckon I can borrow it if I want to. ;)

What do you think?

I have all 3 so maybe I can help. :D

I play xbox the most by far. Only b/c of live though. I highly recommend you forget all the other options on your poll and pick up an xbox live kit. I'd recommend games for you to get with it but I don't really know what kind of games you like.

If you're not into the online thing though (ur missing out), then between ps2 and gc I have to say ps2. Gamecube has some good games but not enough. I probably got 30 ps2 games and there are tons more that I want. I have EVERY gamecube game I want which is like 7 games total. Anything else on gc that's good can be bought on other systems imo. Also, most of the gc games I wanted disappointed me. Like metroid prime which even though it is good isn't as good as the 2d games, I don't care what anybody says it's got nothing on the earlier games.

Originally posted by NR Pickle@Oct 1, 2003 @ 02:48 AM

Like metroid prime which even though it is good isn't as good as the 2d games, I don't care what anybody says it's got nothing on the earlier games.

Yeah, but that kind of thing only peevs me off if it's a sequal/trilogy/etc and it has been in 2D for all of it except for the new release of a game. Prime example = Munch's oddysee.. really pissed off that it wasn't a smooth-looking 2D game to continue the quintology.

Anyway on topic - Good news mal! Cube's have been lowered in price again! Now they are $200 brand new in box!! Never seen a brand new console so cheap before :drool: As to whether you want a cube or a ps2.... or saturn/ dreamcast games :smokin: , just pick whichever has the most games that you want to play..you shouldn't really be unhappy with any choice you make if you do this :cool:

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Oct 1, 2003 @ 03:36 AM

Prime example = Munch's oddysee.. really pissed off that it wasn't a smooth-looking 2D game to continue the quintology.

Yes... damn them... *shakes fist* Abe's Exodus was the "r0xx0r" so to speak then they have to go 3d on us.

I'd go with a PS2 for a next console - you know it's already got a good range of games, and there isn't any speculation about weather it'll last the distance. That's just a personal choice though...

On the other hand, why not stick with tradition and back the losing horse as usual? :p

Actually, I'd spend that kind of cash on a new graphics card. :)

Losing horse? I prefer underdog. ;)

I'd considered some PC upgrades but I don't think it would be worth it. I'm planning on building a whole new machine sometime in '04. :)

I'd say go with PS2.

Sega does seem to be supporting it rather nicely. :)

Dirty PS2 fanboys. I swear to god...

My personal unbiased ;) opinion is to get a GameCube. I've been having a lot of fun with mine lately and the release schedule is looking great. I recently got Billy Hatcher and I'm having a blast with that. I've gotten Zelda: WW, Mario Sunshine, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and F-Zero GX as well. ( :thumbs-up:)

Upcoming releases that I want to get are Viewtiful Joe, Kirby's Air Ride, Rogue Squadron III, Pikmin 2, Sonic Heroes (which is multiplatform), Mario Kart: Double Dash.

It's $99 now as well... don't know about Australia though :(. You can't beat that, especially with all the AAA games it has (not that any other system doesn't have any AAA games)

</blatantgcfanadvertisement>

...losing horse :rolleyes:

As CrazyGoon says, they're around AU$200 here. Remarkable. :)

A PS2 is around $350+ so that's one thing against it... but that's assuming I buy new. *shrug*

Any PS2 voters care to put a case together like Mr Lurker? :)

Well I have all 3 as well, and to tell you the truth, I barely ever play my PS2. I usually play my Xbox and my GC. Xbox has some amazing games, but as you said thats out of the question. So I'd say go with a GC, the price is great and it does have good games, maybe not as many as other consoles...but how much time do you have to play 30+ games anyway? :D

Only buy that Piece of Shit PoS2 if you're into VF. Other than that, I'd say it's worthless (It IS a $ony console afterall ;) ). Oh, and the Sega Ages remakes (I must... have... Golden Axe remake.... :drool: )

XBox: DOA3, DOA4, DOA: Online, PDO, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (I must... play... Outcast... even just once.... :drool: ), Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, Halo (either you love it or you hate it, I've never played it, so I couldn't tell ya). WWF Raw 2 (If you're into wrestling games. I'm into the games, just not into the "real" thing. I still watch it from time to time though), Crazy Taxi, HoTD, among mony other Sega games.

GC (NOT GCN :rant ): Metroid Prime (Enjoyable, but not a TRUE Metroid game. I've beaten Super Metroid, more than my number of fingers, and played all the other games quite a bit, and I came away somewhat disappointed, changed the chronological order of the series, in which you get items. she doesn't get the Gravity Suit or Grappling Beam until Super Metroid, so what's she doing with them in Prime, when Super Metroid is still two games away?), Zelda (given), Star Wars Rogue Squadron series (I must... play... III... :drool: ), Sonic Team (I must.. play... Billy Hatcher.... :drool: ).

Unfortunately, I can't get any consoles until January (Getting Nomad in a couple weeks, then saving up for a Mac :D :bow, then Christmas, then I can get an XBox/GameCube). I'd have to say... buy a GameCube. XBox has a better library of Sega games, but GameCube is cheaper, and therefore, should be your first purchase.

Gamecube all the way. THE best multiplayer games around on that thing.

In my opinion I'd say get a Game Cube, overall its a great console. Plus where else can you get an adapter that can play Game Boy Advance game like the GB player.

I have a PS2, my brother has an Xbox, but he doesn't play his very much, he's always playing PS2, for Tekken 4, VF4, and GTA Vice city. Yes Xbox has 'some' good games, but not enough to keep us entertained, hell we get more use out of our Dreamcast over Xbox.

Game Cube would be the way to go, true classics and it has more entertaining multiplayer games like Ice said.

It depends on whether you want quality or quantity really.

There's no platform game on PS2 to match Mario Sunshine, no adventure to match Zelda (though it is far too easy), no action game to match Metroid Prime etc.

The only things I've missed since selling my PS2 last year are VF4 and Ico..

In the PS2's favour though, if you've never owned a PSOne then that adds a hell of a lot of other good games to the library.. As well as thousands of crap ones ;)

I'd got GC...

most unique games

gameboy player

price just lowered

Xbox = #2 vote

If you do borrow the Xbox, play Panzer Dragoon Orta and Star Wars: KOTOR. Two of the best games on the system, I think.

If you care about price that much then get a GC.

Nintendo has some big announcement coming next spring, and it will probably be about their next (and probably last) console system.

So look for developer support to start waning for GC (if that holds true).

I don't really have the time to make a list of games, or put a "case together" , but get what you will...

Edit: You probably waited too long to get a "new system".

Oh god... if Nintendo left the console market, I would someone (probably Ken Kuratagi ;) :D ). It'd be like the NES vs SMS is the 80's. $ony = 90%, M$ = 10%. You have any idea how hellish that'd be? ARGH! :rant :damn: :eek:mg: :puke: :looney :huh :huh: :unsure: :eek: :bs

I forgot to mention another big factor for me which will apply to Mal too (if you're as anal as me about such things), which is the 60hz thing. Nearly all PAL Gamecube games give you the option or are PAL optimised and I believe the Xbox can be set to 60hz for most games. You can't say the same for many PS2 games at all (VF4 was the only one I used to have with the option).

Back